Freezer vs Fridge @ Lowes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmuir

Reaction score
Hello all. I checked out the mini fridge at Lowes as well as a few small freezers for a kegerator build Both can be had for around $170.00. Th small freezer would need a new controller I assume but looks like it would hold more kegs. Any thoughts from people who may have tried one or the other?

I've used both. A freezer makes a better kegger and a fridge a better fermenter. My fermentation fridge was originally my kegger.

A freezer makes a better kegger and a fridge a better fermenter.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but what are the reasons you say that? I can see a freezer with a temp controller being more energy efficient, but are there any other reasons?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but what are the reasons you say that? I can see a freezer with a temp controller being more energy efficient, but are there any other reasons?

Pulling carboys out of a chest freezers is hazardous for the back. No matter how long your arms are you're still put in the awkward position of having to lift it off the ground with the side wall obstructing you from getting yourself low enough to do it in the safest manner.

I don't know if this will help at all, but I have an upright freezer I use for fermenting (with a thermostat of course) and have never had any issues with it as far as fermentation goes.

I have one of those smaller upright freezers from lowes, it works pretty well. If you're not physically fit I can see how taking a carboy full of beer in and out of it could be a problem. There is also a bit of a moisture build up to be aware of.

Pulling carboys out of a chest freezers is hazardous for the back. No matter how long your arms are you're still put in the awkward position of having to lift it off the ground with the side wall obstructing you from getting yourself low enough to do it in the safest manner.

That's a good point for a fridge being a better fermenter, doesn't explain why a freezer is a better kegger though. You could just get a carboy handle though, or use buckets.

Freezer will let you put more kegs in it, thus more tap handles on the outside. It is more awkward to pull carboys out of them, but then again, don't put them in their in the first place. I'm pretty sure the carboy handles aren't meant for full carboys, so using one to pull them out of a freezer will not be a good idea (stress to the neck of the carboy).

Fridges on the other hand are easy to get kegs and/or carboys out of, especially the ones with a freezer on the top. The draw back is that you won't be able to fit as many kegs in it, thus less taps on the outside. Plus, you pretty much ruin the resale value of the fridge when you cut holes in the door.

Interesting. I can see where some folks would have trouble with moving carboys in and out of a freezer. The obvious advantage of one is that it will get you several degrees cooler for stuff like lagering. I also like the fact that the cold air doesn't "fall out" when the lid is opened (as opposed to door opened on a fridge). Perhaps most importantly, for the same money you are going to get a lot more storage space with a chest freezer than with a refrigerator--I can put four carboys in my 12 cf freezer but only two in my good-sized refrigerator.

Bottom line...any refrigerated cool storage space SWMBO will allow is a blessing!

with a standard fridge you can build a sturdy second self to house your other two carboys thus allowing 4. picking up a carboy at chest height is much easier on the back them bending into a chest freezer.

just sayin'

-=Jason=-

with a standard fridge you can build a sturdy second self to house your other two carboys thus allowing 4. picking up a carboy at chest height is much easier on the back them bending into a chest freezer.

just sayin'

-=Jason=-

Sounds interesting; I'd like to see a picture of this setup in action.

Sounds interesting; I'd like to see a picture of this setup in action.

oh I don't have this setup, but if you can fit two on the floor it seems plausible that a shelf with legs could be built to house 2 more above the 2 below.

-=Jason=-

oh I don't have this setup, but if you can fit two on the floor it seems plausible that a shelf with legs could be built to house 2 more above the 2 below.

-=Jason=-

Might work for a very large fridge or one that doesn't have a good-sized freezer compartment. Both of my fridges (one Jenn-Air; one Kenmore Gold) have about 35 inches interior clearance; nowhere near enough for two sets of carboys with airlocks. But with a huge fridge and no freezer compartment a shelf system might be great. Any fridge is a good way to go for someone with trouble lifting carboys though.

-=Jason=-

I think what you are referring to is actually a upright freezer. I don't think you could get two shelves for carboys in a combo fridge/freezer unit.

I have thought of that, but in my fridge at least, the hump in the back (compressor houseing) is too tall to be able to fit 2 more kegs or my CO2 tank on the shelf.

Obviously everyone has a different idea on which direction to take. I use a 14cf chest freezer for fermenting and long term aging and a fridge/freezer combo for kegs. I originally was going to go with 2 freezers (which is why I have an unused Johnson A-419 on the shelf) but ended up going with a bottom freezer Frigidaire for the kegs. It's nice because the fridge holds at a steady 38* andI can also use the freezer portion to store ingredients like hops.

FWIW, I own an old chest freezer that the previous owner made into a keezer (how convenient!) and yet I had the intentions of using it for fermenting (primarily lagering). Some time has gone by and I now realize that it is a pain to move full carboys out of there even with the handle I have for mine. I don't actually do kegging yet, but I am planning to after the holidays and doubt I'll do much primary in there after that. While I won't be using the capacity for all active kegs, I intend to secondary over to kegs, pressurize and let them sit until there are taps available. Down the road I hope to get a stand-up freezer or fridge (really, whatever I can find for cheap at the time) to do primary fermenting in, but for now this is the setup I'm using. So, long story short, freezer is a pain for pulling full carboys out of. If that's not an issue, go for it, they hold a lot more for the same price. Plus, search craigslist and you may even find one for cheap!

Back