Freeze-dried yogurt cultures for Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolas P69

Reaction score
I am going to make a Berliner Weisse but around here where I live it´s very very difficult to get some lacto strain specifically for beer. But I can get some yogurt cultures ( Danisco yogurt cultures) so I wanna give it a try.
I have couple of conserns and questions involving what strain to use:
what would be your strain of choice? and why?

1)I have some couple strains to choose(Image), anyone has try some of similar cultures?, or can recommend what strain to use? and why? Also tips and tricks?
Captura.JPG
3)The dosage for using the strain on a beer, the packages comes in 3 formats for yogurt dosage in Danisco Culture Unit (DCU)(that I havent heard of):
Captura1.JPG

2) I am worry about that the other caracteristics besides the strains in the culture, like the Thickness and Mildness( on the image). Also in the information said "...The range has been carefully selected and formulated to contribute the desired fermentation profile texture and flavour profiles to any yogurt or fermented milk application. In addition, some of the YO-MIX™ yogurt cultures contain Danisco’s unique patented strains that contribute to a particularly high texture and creamy mouthfeel...."

HERE IS THE FULL INFO:http://chemroy.com/sites/default/files/Danisco Yogurt US broochure.pdf

Thank you all for read this, hope be helpful for a lot of people. Cheers!!!

Also I think that this can be important as well:
"....The YO-MIX™ range is divided into four categories: • YO-MIX™ Multi with: 100 series for yogurts and fermented milks composed of multiple lactic bacteria genus and species in addition to Strep- tococcus thermophilus. 200 series for yogurts and fermented milks composed of mul- tiple lactic bacteria genus and species, including Bifidobacterium lactis or Lactobacillus acidophilus where structure-function type claims are not required; • YO-MIX™ Real 300, 400 & 500 series for yogurts using only Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus; • YO-MIX™ Quick 700 series a new generation of cultures that combine reduced fermentation time to limited post acidification which includes Bifidobacterium lactis or Lactobacillus acidophilus where structure-function type claims are not required. 800 series a new generation of cultures that combine redu- ced fermentation time to limited post acidification; the 800 se- ries comprises only Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacil- lus bulgaricus........"

seems complicated. a fancy grocery store or a health food store will probably carry some probiotic pills. l.plantarum is very common for probiotics. in mexico the GNC health food stores carry them. but not cheap. or if fancy grocery or health food stores carry "live" culture yogurts you can just use some of them. try and get the kind that are not flavored.

you could also just get a yogurt /activia/ probiotic drink from the market, put it into a wort starter and grow it for a few days. if it smells fine then let the bacteria settle to the bottom, pour off the liquid, and use that to sour your beer.

Back