Frak!!! Missed my first full hop addition to boil. Can I do anything now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made the mistake of using only 1/2 the amount of hops needed for the 60 minute addition to my amber ale. I was suppose to use 2 oz of Cascade but now find that I only added in 1 oz. The beer has been cooled and placed in the fermentor with yeast for about 2 hours.

Anything I can do at this point? I was thinking of just doing a stove top boil with some DME and the missing 1 oz Cascade for 60 minutes. Rapid cool this down and then add this back into the bucket.

Any recommendations...?

boil half an ounce of cascade in two quarts of water for an hour (smaller amount because since there are no other sugars or anything in there you'll get a higher utilization) and then pour that into the fermenter. RDWHAHB

boil half an ounce of cascade in two quarts of water for an hour (smaller amount because since there are no other sugars or anything in there you'll get a higher utilization) and then pour that into the fermenter. RDWHAHB

Thanks for the advice on the reduced amount of Cascade to use in the boil. I already have a 3 day dry hop period scheduled for this brew so I didn't think about extending it.

seven to ten days is usually how long i dry hop for. shorter dry hops don't add nearly enough aroma for my liking

I was not sure of how extending the dry hop period would affect the bittering aspects of the 1 oz of Cascade at the start of the boil. I don't have a lot of experience with dry hopping so i was more under the impression that it was used for more aroma affects and not for bittering. Thus, in my mistake earlier today I learned something new.

just dump it in. also, dry hopping does nothing for bittering, you're right that it's just for aroma. drop the hops in and let them sit a week to ten days. a week is really the minimum time that most people use.

I was also wondering how long on the dry hopping and worried about grassiness. I' dry hopping pellets for the first to
E and wasn't told how long to do so. Don't mean to butt in on the original poster but it saves the step of a repeat thread

You are not "butting in" at all. Glad to know others out there have some of the same questions. I wonder if the time for dry hopping depends on the amount/type/style of hops being used.

usually any time under fourteen days and you don't have to worry about grassy notes. doesn't really matter the type of hops from my experience.

Back