Founder's Red's Rye Pale Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalvaroo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few days ago I decided I wanted to try cloning Founder's Red's Rye Pale Ale and started looking up recipes. I couldn't find an exact recipe and probably spent a lot more time in multiple sources trying to figure this one out than any other recipe I've tried to clone. I noticed a lot of the threads on the topic were a few years old so I decided to make a new one.

Here's what I came up with, let me know what you think. I'm going to get my yeast started tonight, haven't decided if i wanted to try out dry yeast for the first time (Safale S-04) or just go with a trusty vial of CA Ale WLP001.

Here's what I put together for a recipe: I use Beer Tools Pro to tweak my recipes and everything's calibrated for my equipment, my average efficiency is around 75%, so that's why the amounts are a little odd.

For 5.5gal

10Lbs. 2-row (Briess) 66.4%
32oz. Rye Malt (Weyermann) 13.3%
28oz. CaraVienne (Briess) 11.6% I'm substituting CaraPils here...
4oz. Special B (Belgian) 1.7% for color
4oz. Crystal 60 (Briess) 1.7% for color
13oz. Aromatic (Belgian) 5.4%

Hops: I have a few different bags of pellets, so that's why there's different AA's... I adjusted to get 70 IBUs.

Perle (8.9%) 36g @ :60
Perle (8.9%) 28g @ :30
Amarillo (9.3%) 12g @ :20
Amarillo (9.3%) 12g @ :10
Amarillo (7.5%) 12g @ :knockout

Amarillo 2oz dry hop for 4 days in secondary.

I'm going to mash this one a little warmer than I usually do at 154 for :60, collect 7.5 gal, boil for :60 and hopefully end up with around 5.5 gal taking into account what i loose with the hops and my equipment.

Hopefully:

OG: 1.068
TG: 1.017
Color: 14.21 SRM
Alcohol: 6.7%
Bitterness: 70 IBU

I'll let you know how it turns out in about a month...

Back