Founders Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will buy a case and not think twice. One of the name near perfect beers I've had. ( never has fresh but with 4 years on it.)

Who is financing this next expansion? Has anyone read that anywhere?
I want to note that the Goose Island buy out was for less than this expansion will be...

Haven't read where the funds are coming from directly, I would assume business loans. Mlive had a few articles over the last few months reporting of Founders intentions for a $5.2 million reimbursement from the GR Brownfield Redevelopment Authority...

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/09/founders_brewing_expansion.html

Also, looks like they got a state performance-based grant...

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/11/founders_brewing_co_gets_state.html

And then MDOT kicked in some payola to fix the surrounding infrastructure...

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-...mdot_founders_grant.html#incart_story_package

I personally don't see a move. I think I there's gotta be a cash flow injection at some point.
I think that's right. They're not leaving GR anytime soon. But if I had to pick a MI brewery to be sold in the next 5-10 years, it'd absolutely be Founders.

I think that's right. They're not leaving GR anytime soon. But if I had to pick a MI brewery to be sold in the next 5-10 years, it'd absolutely be Founders.
Yeah, I definitely can't see them moving from their current location. An additional location? Sure, and I see it on the west coast. IMO, I don't see them being bought. Dave and Mike seem too passionate to give it up like that. But money talks and as you get bigger, investors want their payout.

Hrm. I see your point just don't think founders would sell. Doesn't matter either way. AB makes everything better. I'm a big fan of deep pockets.

I don't necessarily think they'd sell either. But I could see how the guaranteed major pay day would be nice

I originally heard it was 49 percent, but, Yep, this is consistent with what I was told. Was also told Miller Coors offered them 300 for the whole thing.

Screenshot?
Nah...The comments were gold tho. That's why I'm asking, I was hoping someone did. They made some post in the gist of "That's one way to pay for a $30m expansion..." and people went off. They edited it, and shortly thereafter took it down.

MczrLON.jpg

3KNnSL8.jpg

Any catch Griffin Claw's facebook post in regards to this (it's now taken down)? Whoever handles their social media is just terrible, TERRIBLE!
I can only imagine. Look, I go to Griffin Claw all the time because it's in my town but they are tone deaf. They preach local but do their best to squeeze every last cent out of their customers (as is their right as a business). The environment is unbelievably sterile and just not fun. Actually, I'm too lazy to go into all of their problems/inconsistencies, incuding their relationship with Powers (a huge Macro distributor they presumably got hooked up with based on their restaurant business), the rampant quality control problems (stouts in particular), the fact that they want to make beer to appeal to Birminghman housewives not beer drinkers (see the change in their Berliner from year one to year two) and the fact that Dan's beers just plain suck compared to what he made at Big Rock. But don't worry, now they're making their own booze!

Anyone gonna be in GR next week....

Limited vintage bottles available throughout the week as well

http://foundersbrewing.com/taproom-events/cellar-raid-2015-day-1/

Cellar Raid 2015

Cellar Raid 2015 is our way of thanking our customers for being so awesome, while finishing out the first month of 2015 with a bang! For six days, (1/26 – 1/31) we’ll be featuring different vintage draft beers, opening up the opportunity for folks to try some beers they may have never even sniffed, and put together some truly epic vertical tastings. Throughout the week, many different vintage bottles will be available for purchase in our Company Store. (Ask a store employee for instructions, to see what’s available and quantity limits.)

On Monday, January 26, 2015, we’ll be featuring Canadian Breakfast Stout. (Available while supplies last.)
0eGRWc4.jpg

Last edited:
So if you didn't know, Brew Dogs are in MI this week to brew with Founders. Apparently, they're making an Eisbock under the ice up in Higgins Lake. They'lre having a tasting party at the taproom Wednesday night from 6-8pm. More details about the beer in the article below.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/...w_dogs_grand_rapids_michiga.html#incart_river
Of course, there's no way the beer they made this week is the one being served... Unless they premise the doppelbock months ago for freezing this week.

People of Michigan, were CBS growlers hard to obtain, are they still being filled anywhere? Want to trade one to me? I have stuff and things.

People of Michigan, were CBS growlers hard to obtain, are they still being filled anywhere? Want to trade one to me? I have stuff and things.
Sorry man, haven't heard of any place filling growlers of CBS in MI. Come to GR and I'll buy you unlimited pours though. Srs.

Some places in Iowa, NY and Wiscy were doing growler fills but nothing Ive seen posted lately.

Sorry man, haven't heard of any place filling growlers of CBS in MI. Come to GR and I'll buy you unlimited pours though. Srs.

That is an awesome offer. I'm heading up tonight with my GF. If you are around I will flip the script and buy you a pour of CBS. Has it been crazy busy all week? Or could I safely assume I'll get a few glasses if I get there by say 8 tonight?

That is an awesome offer. I'm heading up tonight with my GF. If you are around I will flip the script and buy you a pour of CBS. Has it been crazy busy all week? Or could I safely assume I'll get a few glasses if I get there by say 8 tonight?
Unfortunately, have other plans for tonight, but thanks for the offer. I'd say that it's been busier during the day when they had bottle sales. Wednesday was cray cray because of the Brew Dogs filming. But overall, not packed like a Black Party or KBS Release type crowd.

You will be able to bathe in CBS. Not literally, but if you've never had CBS and want a "sure thing", this is the week to try it. And don't forget about the other awesome stuff on tap. Today is vintage Backwoods day. And if they have any of the Sweet Repute XXX left, do not pass it up.

Back