Founders Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArtPrize is starting up soon and I suspect they're holding back some beer for that. The entire downtown core of GR gets slammed for 2.5 weeks during ArtPrize. I had heard from one of the servers that Founders went through 115 kegs of Rubaeus in one month, if that's any indication of how hard its been for them to keep up with demand at the taproom this summer.
Yeah I mean I get that but to not have one cool offering basically 365 days a year is weird. Bells does, Oddside had a ton of differnt stuff on, basically every brewery I've been to always has something unique u can't just find anywhere which is what I like in a brewery. Not looking for cbs or anything like that just something different. But yes they were pouring rubaeus as fast is they could

Yeah I mean I get that but to not have one cool offering basically 365 days a year is weird. Bells does, Oddside had a ton of differnt stuff on, basically every brewery I've been to always has something unique u can't just find anywhere which is what I like in a brewery. Not looking for cbs or anything like that just something different. But yes they were pouring rubaeus as fast is they could
Every time I have gone they had beers that weren't bottled on tap. Usually multiples. I have seen beers that were test batches that later ended up in backstage series. Backstage Series beers that were sold out most everywhere on tap. Also to visit a prolific brewery that is very nicely done and has yummy food isn't a bad thing either. I'm sure if I lived there I'd still go a lot. Not all the time, but for what they offer I have a nice time.

Every time I have gone they had beers that weren't bottled on tap. Usually multiples. I have seen beers that were test batches that later ended up in backstage series. Backstage Series beers that were sold out most everywhere on tap. Also to visit a prolific brewery that is very nicely done and has yummy food isn't a bad thing either. I'm sure if I lived there I'd still go a lot. Not all the time, but for what they offer I have a nice time.
Id go to Perrin 100/100 times or Vivant ...can't agree with you. I've been to founders 5x and each time the list is garbage. Which whatever now I know to skip it.

Id go to Perrin 100/100 times or Vivant ...can't agree with you. I've been to founders 5x and each time the list is garbage. Which whatever now I know to skip it.
I must be lucky when coming from TX. It's also nice that I can get fresh versions of their beer when I visit.

It's free to go and bar prices for the beer.

I do need to try Vivant though. I just have a limited amount of time to spend on beer stuff and Founders hasn't failed me so I go their and Hop Cat usually.

I must be lucky when coming from TX. It's also nice that I can get fresh versions of their beer when I visit.

It's free to go and bar prices for the beer.

I do need to try Vivant though. I just have a limited amount of time to spend on beer stuff and Founders hasn't failed me so I go their and Hop Cat usually.
Go to Perrin first. The Vivant for the burger add bacon n cheese . You will thank me:)

Never heard of them. I need to check it out. Some of their growler fills are silly expensive!
I mean kinda yes but consider it like getting a growler of bcbs. Their malted milk ball is unreal , lil griz and blCk goat too. :) not exactly on bcbs level but honestly not far off! U won't be disappointed.

The next Backstage has been announced....Big Lushious

http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2014/big-lushious-will-released-holidays/

Big Lushious Will Be Released for the Holidays
Posted on September 22, 2014 by Sarah
We plan to introduce Big Lushious, a chocolate raspberry stout, this December to mark the eleventh installment in our Backstage Series. Like all of our Backstage Series beers, Big Lushious will be sold in 750mL bottles, with a suggested retail price of $16.99 per bottle.

big_lushious_bottle_hi_rez-296x1000.png
Big Lushious is a deep, rich stout that’s packed with flavor: roasted malts, all-natural dark chocolate, a subtle suggestion of burnt coffee grounds and a kiss of tart raspberries. At 7.8% ABV, it’s big, sumptuous and extravagant, but also balanced.

“We thought Big Lushious would make a great release for the holidays,” said Co-Founder and Vice President of Brand & Education Dave Engbers. “It’s a luxurious beer for us. It’s meant for bringing to parties and is perfect for sharing with friends and family after a feast.”

Big Lushious will be released in limited quantities across our distribution footprint beginning on Monday, December 1, and will be available at our taproom that same week. This will be our last Backstage Series release in 2014—look for more in 2015.

$17, huh?

Yeah, that was my first thought. Especially when I can go into Founder's this very moment, and get mixed pours of FBS and Rubaeus until I puke. So for me, the uniqueness isn't there. Especially when New Holland is releasing their Dragon's Milk Reserve with Raspberries later this year, for probably half the price. Obviously, they don't say anywhere that its a coffee stout like FBS, so it's likely a unique recipe. Ingredient-wise, its likely similar to an FBS/Rubaeus mix, perhaps with more chocolate and more raspberries (to make it more lushious?) and they can sell both of those beers for $10/4pk, or approx. $0.21/oz. The math just doesn't add up. It'll still be a tasty beer. I bet we see a BA version in the taproom.

Last edited:
Brand (front)
Actual Dimensions: 3.75 inches W X 2.75 inches H

publicViewAttachment.do

Image Type:

Neck
Actual Dimensions: 3.25 inches W X 1.25 inches H

publicViewAttachment.do

Official announcement:

Black_rye_bottle_web.png

We plan to reintroduce Black Rye, a dry-hopped dark ale brewed with copious amounts of rye malt, as a seasonal release in January 2015 with availability through March. Black Rye will be available throughout our distribution footprint both on draft and in 12 oz. bottles with a suggested retail price of $10.99 per 4-pack.

We brewed Black Rye for the first time in 2006—it was available for less than a year, but it developed a cult following. And we decided to reach into their recipe vault and bring it back for 2015.

“Because of how quickly the craft beer enthusiast community has grown, most people drinking craft beer and even Founders beer today have never tried Black Rye,” said Dave Engbers, co-founder and vice president of brand and education. “Officially, this beer is a re-introduction. But for most, it’s a new Founders beer.”

Black Rye is a perfectly balanced blend of German- and American-grown hops, premium 2-row barley and heavily kilned rye and wheat malts. There’s no category that can contain it—it’s a true Founders original.

“Black Rye is one of those beers that we kept coming back to in our conversations about new releases,” said Jeremy Kosmicki, Founders’ brewmaster. “There are so many craft beers out there, but this one has its place because there’s nothing else quite like it.”

Black Rye will kick off our seasonal calendar in 2015, with availability from roughly January to March, dependent on distributor shipments. It will be released in our taproom on draft and in bottles as of January 2015. Our other seasonal releases in 2015 will be Rubaeus, from April to September, and Breakfast Stout, from October to December. Our full 2015 availability calendar will be announced later this year.

----

http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2014/reintroducing-black-rye-2015/

Nothing official from Founders yet, but a new batch of CBS has been kegged and is slowly rolling out to bars across Michigan. Crunchy's in East Lansing and Taps 25 in Lansing are the first to publicly announce tappings, both today (12/9). This is draft only, not bottles. Got get 'em kids!

Nothing official from Founders yet, but a new batch of CBS has been kegged and is slowly rolling out to bars across Michigan. Crunchy's in East Lansing and Taps 25 in Lansing are the first to publicly announce tappings, both today (12/9). This is draft only, not bottles. Got get 'em kids!
My distro told me a couple weeks ago he will have a keg or two for me...But was told to keep it shhh.

Def going to crunchys tonight. This is great news

Anyone see the Founder's Instagram posting that Blushing Monk is coming out again?

WE’RE BRINGING BLUSHING MONK BACK IN MARCH 2015
Posted on December 11, 2014 by Sarah
Blushing_Monk_bottle_2015_web.png
We plan to re-release Blushing Monk, a decadent Belgian raspberry ale, in March 2015 to mark the twelfth installment in our popular Backstage Series. Blushing Monk was the original Founders Backstage Series beer, released in July 2011; prior to that, it hadn’t been bottled for four years. Like all of Founders’ Backstage Series beers, Blushing Monk will be sold in 750mL bottles, with a suggested retail price of $16.99 per bottle.

Blushing Monk is brewed with a ridiculous amount of raspberries and with a Belgian yeast strain that keeps our head cellar operator from sleeping for a week. It pours a stunning deep berry red and, at 9.2% ABV, has a surprising kick. The perfect dessert beer, it can be enjoyed on its own or paired with fresh cheeses, fruit, cakes and more.

“People keep asking us if we’re going to bring any of our Backstage Series beers back—and now we have,” said Co-Founder and President Dave Engbers. “It seems as though we brew Blushing Monk on a four-year cycle. Our cellar crew hates brewing it because it’s brewed with a different yeast strain from all of our other beers, but we think it’s worth the sleepless nights. It’s an absolutely gorgeous beer.”

Founders’ Backstage Series is made up of boundary-pushing, experimental beers. The intent of the series is to take the diehard Founders fan experience to a wider audience—though all of the beers are released in limited batches. Since its introduction in the summer of 2011, Founders’ Backstage Series beers have quickly become some of the most sought-after releases in the industry.

Blushing Monk will be released in limited quantities across our distribution footprint beginning on Monday, March 2, and will be available at the brewery’s taproom the week prior. This will be the first Backstage Series release from Founders in 2015; beer enthusiasts should expect two more releases from Founders later in the year.

We plan to re-release Blushing Monk, a decadent Belgian raspberry ale, in March 2015 to mark the twelfth installment in our popular Backstage Series. Blushing Monk was the original Founders Backstage Series beer, released in July 2011; prior to that, it hadn’t been bottled for four years. Like all of Founders’ Backstage Series beers, Blushing Monk will be sold in 750mL bottles, with a suggested retail price of $16.99 per bottle.

Blushing Monk is brewed with a ridiculous amount of raspberries and with a Belgian yeast strain that keeps our head cellar operator from sleeping for a week. It pours a stunning deep berry red and, at 9.2% ABV, has a surprising kick. The perfect dessert beer, it can be enjoyed on its own or paired with fresh cheeses, fruit, cakes and more.

“People keep asking us if we’re going to bring any of our Backstage Series beers back—and now we have,” said Co-Founder and President Dave Engbers. “It seems as though we brew Blushing Monk on a four-year cycle. Our cellar crew hates brewing it because it’s brewed with a different yeast strain from all of our other beers, but we think it’s worth the sleepless nights. It’s an absolutely gorgeous beer.”

Founders’ Backstage Series is made up of boundary-pushing, experimental beers. The intent of the series is to take the diehard Founders fan experience to a wider audience—though all of the beers are released in limited batches. Since its introduction in the summer of 2011, Founders’ Backstage Series beers have quickly become some of the most sought-after releases in the industry.

Blushing Monk will be released in limited quantities across our distribution footprint beginning on Monday, March 2, and will be available at the brewery’s taproom the week prior. This will be the first Backstage Series release from Founders in 2015; beer enthusiasts should expect two more releases from Founders later in the year.
Thank you John.

Founder's creeping those prices up, $16.99. Almost didn't buy Big Luscious cause the $17 price tag was a little scary.

After having Blushing Monk last night, I'll gladly pay that price. It's less than Lolita and way better. It's essentially $8.50 for a RR size bottle if you divide it in half. Pretty great price.

I passed on Big Luscious yesterday at $12.99, so I feel bad if folks were charged $17.

I dunno, I can just drink NG Raz Tart whenever I want. Still don't understand the retroactive hype on this one.

Back