Found some baby rabbits in my back yard. What should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do with the baby bunnies?

• Rabbit stew

• Rabbit skeet shoot

• Sell them to overprivileged brats to be terrorized on Easter morning

• Leave them alone, you sick bastard

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeatyPortion

Internet Bartender
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think there are about 3 of them in a tiny hole near my hop plants. I doubt they'll eat the hops. The mother is in the area and has not abandoned them. What should I do?

Mmm...rabbit stew.

2 pounds rabbit
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
1 1/4 cups Guinness
2 cups largely diced carrots
Sprig of fresh thyme

Do not touch them (unless you are trying to get rid of them). If you touch the nest, the mother will abondon them. We had this happen multiple times, and based on advice from a local vet, ended up having to keep the babies in a box and feed them formula with a syringe until they could eat solids.

Could always find your local PETA TreeHuggers.

I had this happen once. I was cutting out a massive overgrowth of honey suckle using an old beat up lawnmower. Heard a chunk and then saw blood. I had apparently orphaned a nest of baby rabbits that day. 6 or 8 of them IIRC.

Found a county animal shelter and dropped them off.

So far it's 2 for rabbit stew and 2 for leaving them alone. Ah, democracy.

A baby rabbit would be a PITA to clean, and you won't get much meat off of it! Now, the momma...........;)

I'd just leave them alone, unless you have an issue with them eating your garden. Rabbits eat our blueberry bushes, so we let our dog chase them out of the yard. Of course, then they just come back when the dog goes in the house.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd wait until after Easter. You don't want to tramatize some poor neighborhood kid who sees the easter bunny all bloody in your yard.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd wait until after Easter. You don't want to tramatize some poor neighborhood kid who sees the easter bunny all bloody in your yard.

I dunno, the little pukes that live in the house behind ours shot an arrow into our yard a couple years back. This could be fun.

I (or my dogs) uncover anywhere from 2-3 rabbit nests every year. Babies are disposed of. Shovel, pellet gun, or suffocation all work. I always cringe a little but we don't even have neighborhood cats in our neighborhood to take care of them and a couple of neighbors are not responsible about keeping their decks sealed up so they can't make homes for a bagillion rabbits and chipmonks.

I'd just leave them alone, unless you have an issue with them eating your garden. Rabbits eat our blueberry bushes, so we let our dog chase them out of the yard. Of course, then they just come back when the dog goes in the house.

Hence pellet gun target practice on momma and a shovel for the babies.

I voted for stew, before I understood they were VERY young. You'll want to let them grow up a bit before you slaughter them. Mmmm... I'm making myself hungry right now!

Actually, I leave our rabbits alone. We don't have enough to cause a problem, and so long as they don't eat my hops, they get to live. With our cats, I'm feeling lucky to get to see a rabbit once in a while. I once found a half a young rabbit in our flower garden years back. Mice ain't the only thing our old cat used to munch on!

put up a sign out front:

Rabbits for sale
Meat or Pets?

LOL'd at that one. I voted for the shooting but that's really not me. I'd leave them alone until they were old enough and then I'd trap and relocate them. We had them in our yard and they were eating everything and crapping everywhere.

take them in, raise them until they are fat and delicious and then snap their little rabbit necks and make tacos. The best tacos I've ever had were rabbit tacos. But sense that is not an option I'll vote stew

Depending on how big they get, let them grow up to decent size and then decide if they are still cute enough to let live. But if your hops don't do so well, hunt those buggers down and start finding ways to cook them up. If you don't know how to clean them, I'm sure you have a friend (or know someone) that does know how to.

I vote for high powered pellet gun to dispatch them. Something with a decent scope/sighting aid to make it easier on both you and them. Who knows, maybe killing one that way will scare the rest off your land, never to return...

We had a rabbit get into our yard when I was growing up. Big sucker too. We saw it only because it was being chased by our cat. Keep in mind, the cat was smaller than the rabbit... About a minute later (if that) the cat was being chased by the rabbit... Unfortunately it all happened so fast we were not able to have rabbit for dinner. The cat made a clean get-away though. :D

BTW, the rabbit skeet shoot could be interesting (to say the least)... Were you planning on flinging them while they were still alive??

im not so sure bout the rabbit stew. what kinda rabbit? if its jackrabbit forget it. not enough meat even when its full grown. plus they carry a **** load of worms n bugs. dam jackrabits crap all over my lawn and leave dead spots everywhere. ill sit on my porch with a .22 riffle n an iced corny, and with the negbors permission, ill pick em off n toss em down the hill for the cyotes......god im a hick.....

but the cotton tails, their alright. they keep off my lawn and dont eat my tomatoes, therfore they live!

im not so sure bout the rabbit stew. what kinda rabbit? if its jackrabbit forget it. not enough meat even when its full grown. plus they carry a **** load of worms n bugs. dam jackrabits crap all over my lawn and leave dead spots everywhere. ill sit on my porch with a .22 riffle n an iced corny, and with the negbors permission, ill pick em off n toss em down the hill for the cyotes......god im a hick.....

but the cotton tails, their alright. they keep off my lawn and dont eat my tomatoes, therfore they live!

You're kidding right? You shoot them and don't go eat them?? They are SUPER easy to clean and a soak overnight in salt water will kill anything bad in them (especially after you COOK them!)

God, I haven't had rabbit since I was a kid (except that one time in KY on a cave rescue course, when they served rabbit stew!) and I'm really missing it right about now. I miss hunting them with the dog.

Cottons, Jacks, they both eat good! :mug:

i've always wanted to try rabbit, but i wouldn't eat any of the fluffy rats that live in my neighborhood.

I vote Capture, Raise, Eat.
The last time I found a nest we had just moved in, had a couple friends down and had just started a fire in the ring that was already in the yard. My 4 and 7 year olds pointed out that the fire sounded funny and was moving, yep three baby rabbits, apparently the mother thought that an old fire pit was a good spot.

You're kidding right? You shoot them and don't go eat them?? They are SUPER easy to clean and a soak overnight in salt water will kill anything bad in them (especially after you COOK them!)

God, I haven't had rabbit since I was a kid (except that one time in KY on a cave rescue course, when they served rabbit stew!) and I'm really missing it right about now. I miss hunting them with the dog.

eh not the jackrabbits. there reallyt isnt anything to cook.

Its been forever since I had rabbit as well.

The thrill of the hunt, followed by the awesomeness of watching my dad step on their necks and pull on the hind legs (POP!) and then eating em a few days later. Maybe I'll take the .22 out with me when I'm hunting morels this year.

The bunnies we have here are all full of disease and parasites. Not something I'd eat.

The bunnies we have here are all full of disease and parasites. Not something I'd eat.

Weird. We ate rabbit all the time when I was young. Like any wild game you have to cook them thoroughly of course. The only thing we ever noticed was fleas.

One time we hunted a few down at a friend's house because his relative from downstate had never had it. Their daughter, 15, was city born and raised and was freaking out a bit about the rabbits being hunted.

So as we're cleaning them in the barn, I was twisting the head on one and it popped off (actually made a popping sound!) and flew across the floor and landed at her feet! She took off screaming and crying for the haywagon. We could not stop laughing! I feel bad for her now, but at the time my friend made up for it by making out with her in the basement... :cross:

We could not stop laughing! I feel bad for her now, but at the time my friend made up for it by making out with her in the basement... :cross:

Up until now there was no phrase which would encapsulate this scenario above, we have Charlie Sheen now to thank for the phrase "Bi-winning" you win here, you win there, I believe it aptly fits this situation.

Thank you Charlie you do indeed have tiger blood and the DNA of an Adonis.

Yeah. And I got stuck trying to pry his large, drama-loving EMO (didn't have that term back then, but that's sort of what she was) cousin off at the same time. What a batsht crazy little chick she was. I feel sorry for her future/past boyfriends.

Latest posts

Back