Formulating my first All Grain w/ Citra and Maris Otter SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m interested in this brew , should give you a good tasting grapefruit flavor and Maris Otter is a great tasting malt. Keep us informed, I have a brew day coming up soon 🤔👍

Jumping into all grain with a 2.5 gallon batch. Wanted to keep it simple, so I worked up a MO Citra Smash. Does this recipe look like a good start?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1289274/citra-mo-smash
Good starting Point!

One suggestion from my point of view is that you might move everything into two hop additions only. Bittering and dry hop.

Then next time, brew it again and switch to bittering and 5 minute addition with everything else being the same.

That way you learn a lot about the difference in hop addition timing.

If I'm dry hopping, I'm usually not using late additions any more, only bittering and dry hops.

Thanks for the input guys! I made a few adjustments. I have a question about the water profile, but I guess I should post that in the Brew Science forum.

Last edited:
Was going to pitch s05 for this one, but am considering Voss Kveik for the first time. Any reason not to give it a try? Should I pitch half a pack or a whole pack for a 3 gallon batch. I've read it benefits from underpitching. Also, any yeast nutrient required for 5.66 abv?

This is batch will be a pretty big jump for me as it will be my first time with all-grain.
My first time fermenting in a keg.
My first time using a floating diptube to serve from the fermenting keg.

There's a lot to be said for keeping the number of first times to a minimum in any given batch.

Given the big one, first all-grain, I'd keep to the s05. Keep it clean, enjoy those fresh grain flavors.
Agreed. If it’s your first allgrain, go with 05 so you can detect possible errors in process. In addition it’s a smash. Voss throws way to many esters for a beer that’s specifically brewed with focus on singular malt/ hop

MO and Mosaic fermented with Voss Kveik in the 90F range makes for a nice juicy beer. I’ve done a similar session NEIPA like this several times. If you seriously under pitch the the Voss Kveik and let it ferment hot it will throw off a lot of fruity ester flavors. It will also ferment very fast. :).

Funny I should run in to this post. Planning on doing one tomorrow. Here's my recipe:

Attachments

• Brewfather_CitraMOSmash_20220703.pdf
    112.8 KB · Views: 0
+1 with US-05. BUT, only if you can keep temps below 68f. I ferment 05 at 64-65 and have always thought it was a good yeast.

Back