Forgotten Fermentation with fruit in it - Experiences and insight sort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpauldun

Reaction score
I made a simple lemon mead in September.
Test batch for myself: Honey, water, Whole lemon rind and dry yeast (plus feeder). 1 gal.
Fermentation went well, no complaints.
But then I forgot it...Now some 8 months later, I have rediscovered it. Lemon rind still inside.

I racked it off, taste tested it and checked gravity. Looks OK, Smells OK and Tastes OK.
Now left in a dark place, to chill for another 3-6 months.

The rind seems fine, no major issues, similar to when it went it and I would expect that given it was all sterilized and has been sealed for so long in sugar/alcohol.

I'm wondering though if anyone has ever experienced similar and care share insights/advice. Should I ditch it and start over? Let it chill and allow the gods to do their work?

"I racked it off, taste tested it and checked gravity. Looks OK, Smells OK and Tastes OK."
As long as it looks, smells and tastes OK - You are fine.

"Now left in a dark place, to chill for another 3-6 months."
Good practice,and will help with the flavor. If youcan hold on to a few of them for a year or two it will likely be even better.

Wine is lno different from a joke. If everyone laughs then the joke is funny. In the case of wine if everything tastes fine then it is fine... Tossing out a batch is not the last thing you do. It is always the thing you do AFTER you've done the very last thing you could possibly do but here it sounds like this wine is just fine.

Back