forgot to use irish moss!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
absolutely not! You wouldnt taste the difference. If you are really concerned about clarity research using gelatin, either in secondary or cold crashing primary.

Yes, dump it all out. You're also banned from ever brewing again for this terrible abuse of beer.

Kidding, of course, you're fine. It'll just be a little cloudy is all.

I have done exactly that with my last brew.

2 tsp of clear unflavoured gelitin in the secondary and the beer cleared right up.

Boil 200ml of water. Let it cool to about 60C. Put the gelitin in and let it sit for 5 mins. Give it a stir and let it sit for another 5. Stir and gently add to the secondary. Gently stir it in, only needs a light single stir.

I forget the moss all the time, usually from all the HB I drank while brewing.

No problem though, gelatin in secondary works wonders.

Irish moss is used as a clarifying agent. While I have had decent success with irish moss, as others have commented, there are other ways to help clarify your brew. Ferment a little longer (3-4 weeks), use gelatin, chill quickly (after fermentation is complete of course), or filter (not usually an easy option for most). Irish moss as well as these other options shouldn't change the flavor of your beer noticably so the method is up to you.

Bottom line, you have no problems. Have some patience with fermentation then chill quickly and give it a few more days and if you are able to use gelatin before chilling. You should have a wonderfully clear beer.

Good luck!

Back