Floating yeast clumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
Hi all, my last few SMASH brews 4% SO4 yeast have floating clumps of yeast at the end of fermentation about the size of a match head, the yeast cake at the bottom is reasonably firm. The fbeer they are floating in is very clear. I use a teaspoon of irish moss 20 minutes before flame out. Any ideas ? Thanks.

Any ideas ?
..a filter was my first idea. I'm thinking I need to step back and ask exactly what your question is? Yeast rafts are common enough.. I usually use some kind of screen or filter when transferring to make sure they stay out. I'm likely misunderstanding what it is you're asking.

Hi all, my last few SMASH brews 4% SO4 yeast have floating clumps of yeast at the end of fermentation about the size of a match head, the yeast cake at the bottom is reasonably firm. The fbeer they are floating in is very clear. I use a teaspoon of irish moss 20 minutes before flame out. Any ideas ? Thanks.
When I make Cinook IPA in an All Grain with either S04 or S05, for some reason I get the same thing happening. With certain yeasts strains, under some conditions, I have found that these yeast clumps remain after my fermentation is completed and verified through my gravity readings. I ignore it because all ale yeasts are top fermenters and on occaision some of the yeast may remian visible on top of the beer. I am going to try Cali dry yeast next time to see if this works better.

these clumps hang motionless from just below top to just above bottom. Estimate that in 13 litres of fermented beer, there are 20 or 30 of them. I have a very fine mesh plastic sieve and remove most of them with that.

these clumps hang motionless from just below top to just above bottom. Estimate that in 13 litres of fermented beer, there are 20 or 30 of them. I have a very fine mesh plastic sieve and remove most of them with that.
I do the same. Both last time and this one I tasted the beer and both times is tastes sour with none of the traditional grapefruit after taste. If it's an infection of two of the same beer, that has never happened to me, and it would be the first time in 35 years. This is why I am switching to a diffrent yeast. I terms of a soured beer, it came out great!

Back