Fine T90 hop debris in suspension at end of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
Hi all, my last few brews had very fine hop debris "suspended" about 1 cm below the surface at end of fermentation. 3.8% pale bitter, SO4 yeast, chopped irish moss flakes added for last 20 minutes of boil. Enough to warrant filtering before bottling. Any ideas on cause and / or prevention ? Thanks.

I am a simple brewer. I ferment for a few days then bottle. Have done thjis for 45 years. This problem only noticed last few brews. Thanks for replying.

Has there been any change in your process or equipment? What T90 hops are we taking about? How are you transferring from kettle to fermenter?

There's an awful lot of variables that could affect the transfer of hop matter into your fermenter; everything from a particular hop varietal or batch being particularly powdery, to fermentation temperature, to changes in process in your boil or cooling. Are you able to walk through the brewing process?

I would ferment for more than a few days before bottling. Let it go at least 14 days and transfer to another vessel and toss it in the fridge for a few days to let everything settle. After that, transfer to a bottling bucket and go ahead and bottle it.

Back