forgot to use blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breweski15

Reaction score
Hi all, I"m sure this sounds stupid but I brewed a Bavarian Hefeweizen yesterday in a 5 gal carboy. Upon waking up this morning I realized that I ended up sealing the carboy without putting the Blowoff tube in first. My questions are:

Should I open it up and put one in there, as it's already started it's fermentation process?

If not, what will the results be regarding my beer?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You're going to need something to vent the pressure off. I'd say do it. ;)

The results will be: GREAT BEER! :)

You don't have to worry about exposing anything to air. Either your yeast is still using oxygen to grow, or it's already frementing, providing you with a layer of CO2 protection.

Just put your blow off tube in like you would any other time, I'd guess. Make sure it's clean and sanitized, and jam it in there. ;)

Ok thanks, I've never used a blowoff tube, nor know if I even own one lol. The only tube that I believe I have is just the smaller one used for bottling I believe. Can that be still used? I sound like the beginner of the day here

Ok thanks, I've never used a blowoff tube, nor know if I even own one lol. The only tube that I believe I have is just the smaller one used for bottling I believe. Can that be still used? I sound like the beginner of the day here

Do you have a three piece airlock? How big is your carboy? If it's 5 gal. of beer in a 6.5 gallon vessel, you should be ok with just an airlock....

Good luck!

I think it's a 5 gal carboy, but could be wrong. I do know that it's already to the top of it though. Basically the air lock is a rubber stopper, with a fermentation lock placed in that. I had to fill half of it with water and it has a plastic cap on it. I can post a picture if need be. Thanks!

I think it's a 5 gal carboy, but could be wrong. I do know that it's already to the top of it though. Basically the air lock is a rubber stopper, with a fermentation lock placed in that. I had to fill half of it with water and it has a plastic cap on it. I can post a picture if need be. Thanks!

If you're right up to the top, you're going to want to put a blow off tube in there as the krausen will probably rise well above the top of your carboy. The tube can be a chunk of vinyl tube, tightly crammed into a bung, with the other end in a bucket of water sitting beside the carboy.

basically can use that hose that I have and put it into the rubber stopper's hole correct? lol

ok ty, got it working! I appreciate the help, i'll keep you posted how it goes

Do you have a three piece airlock? How big is your carboy? If it's 5 gal. of beer in a 6.5 gallon vessel, you should be ok with just an airlock....

Good luck!

Not true! I had two days of blow off in a 6.5 gallon carboy on a 5 gallon batch of Irish stout. I was not worried because I always use a blow off. Just get a piece of hose and a stoper with a hole in it run one end of the hose into the stopper and the other into a vessel of water I use an old LME can I have held onto for this reason.

Back