forgot to Degas Keg after transferring from fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to degas the oxygen out of the keg for an hour after transferring it from primary. It was in the frig and the keg felt warm so i pulled it out and degassed as much as i could. I think i over filled the keg because i was spraying beer when releasing pressure. My question is how much oxygen exposure in a keg will cause oxidation and ruin the beer? Would an hour cause cardboard tast and should i try again to degas because of the spraying? I shook it a bit but was not trying to force carbonate. I'm not super worried but i haven't found good posts easily when i searched the topic.

Happens to everyone.

Nothing you can do about any oxygen that has already been absorbed. I usually purge the keg 3 times after I rack. Seal it up, flood with CO2 until gas stops, shut off gas, purge completely. And do that 2 more times. I'd avoid shaking it as it could 1) cause foaming inside and blow out beer when you purge (as you found out) and 2) potentially help oxygen get absorbed. One hour won't ruin a beer. Just purge it a few more times and that's about all you can do. It may still spray out beer. It can take a while for that foam to subside.

If it was only an hour, and you had the gas hooked up the whole time, you shouldn't need to worry. The amount of O2 in there was minimal and once you applied the gas there was much more CO2 than O2. So while some diffusion may have occurred, I really doubt it will be noticeable.

Thanks Matt. I tried the Saison i forgot to degas and it had no issues with cardboard oxidation. It was on the other hand overly sweet because i didn't let it ferment out completely.

My fiance loves it but i think it tastes like a soda beer with all the sugar leftover. I took a hydrometer FG reading from the bottom of the bucket after transferring to keg which read low. I can't remember exactly but it was what i was expecting. Brix reading prior from the top of the bucket before keg was high. This was about 5. Without getting my notes, it started normal gravity and fermented well for a week before i put in the pound of belgen candy sugar and let it ferment again for 10 days. Well WLP565 with almost 3 weeks in fermentor with brew belt and a good size starter needed more time to dry out. Next time no suger or hydrometer reading before kegging. :)

I doubt you'd taste oxidation that quickly. It takes a while for that to effect flavor. How long is the????

Let your beer rest until it's done. I rushed my first batches and wondered what I did wrong during the process. Check your gravity after bubbles stop, wait a few days and check it again then repeat it again until you are stable. Then keg your beer or transfer for secondary

Yeah this was my first time working with candy sugar. Totally my bad for not using the wine theif and checking. Its tasty but way to sweet.

Also my concerns with oxidation was also because i think i overfilled the keg and when i attempted to degas i was actually spraying beer because the gas pipe was dipping into the liquid. I tipped the keg and degased super easy. Again my bad. :)

I did it again. Forgot to degas the keg. This time it's been about 24 hours since I kegged the cream ale.

Does anyone else have this reoccurring issue? Is 24 hours long enough to have an effect? I'm guessing the beer won't last to long in the keg with everyone drinking it. Might not have enough time to turn to cardboard.

I did it again. Forgot to degas the keg. This time it's been about 24 hours since I kegged the cream ale.

Does anyone else have this reoccurring issue? Is 24 hours long enough to have an effect? I'm guessing the beer won't last to long in the keg with everyone drinking it. Might not have enough time to turn to cardboard.

Remember that when you bottle, you can't purge the bottles with c02, and there is a lot more headspace in 52 bottles than in 1 keg. So try not to even think about it- it's a minimal amount of headspace and purging with c02 is great to do if you can, but it's not a big deal at all.

Latest posts

Back