Forgot to add whirl floc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senior Monkey

Reaction score
We made a stupid mistake on our last brew: forgot to add whirl floc near the end of the boil. The plan is for two dry hops: one in the fermenter; the other when we transfer the beer to kegs. But to make matters worse, the yeast is "medium to low" flocculation. Other forum members say that the beer ought to be clear before dry-hopping because the hops binds to the suspended yeast and then falls out when you rack the beer. Our beer has been fermenting for a week. OG was 1.070. It is now about 1.012 and I will check it again tomorrow. The sample I pulled out was VERY cloudy. Can we add a gelatin powder clarifier to the fermenters before the first dry-hopping?

damn, that reminds me...i got a bag of unopened whirfloc tablets i keep forgetting to add.....still want to try them out....

If you are going to oxidize it anyway by dry hopping, no problem adding gelatin then.

I tried a gelatin addition the first time I forgot Whirlfloc, it work to some degree.

Every time I forgot whirlflock after that I just drank it, a little less clear, slightly different flavor, but still good. . If you want it to clear, a few extra weeks at lager temp will help.

Other forum members say that the beer ought to be clear before dry-hopping because the hops binds to the suspended yeast and then falls out when you rack the beer.

I would argue you are better off adding your yeast when they are still slightly active to act as oxygen scrubbers.

We made a stupid mistake on our last brew: forgot to add whirl floc near the end of the boil. The plan is for two dry hops: one in the fermenter; the other when we transfer the beer to kegs. But to make matters worse, the yeast is "medium to low" flocculation. Other forum members say that the beer ought to be clear before dry-hopping because the hops binds to the suspended yeast and then falls out when you rack the beer. Our beer has been fermenting for a week. OG was 1.070. It is now about 1.012 and I will check it again tomorrow. The sample I pulled out was VERY cloudy. Can we add a gelatin powder clarifier to the fermenters before the first dry-hopping?

The best thing you can do for this beer...is to ignore it for another 10-14 days. Then dry hop. With an OG of 1.070 one of the reasons it is still cloudy is that it hasn't quite finished.

Back