Forgetting Priming Sugar before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginuwineus

Reaction score
So I forgot to add the 5oz of Priming Sugar to my brew before I bottled. I've already bottled and capped my beer. Is it officially ruined???

Nope not ruined. You could get some carbonation drops, uncap and add one to each bottle, or only half the batch, and see how the other half turns out.

I'd just get some cooper's carb drops & add one per bottle to the whole batch & be done with it. And try to remember all the steps involved. Or at least don't get into the habit of cutting corners.

The cooper's carb drops look like cough drops,only pure sucrose. The Munton's style are like small tablets,& 5 or 6 per bottle are needed. I think cooper's is the best of the two. The others need so many to work decently,I don't bother with them.
I prefer bulk priming since my second or third batch. Never looked back. But I do keep a bag or two around for emergencies. Plus bulk dextrose,maltodextrin,& demerara sugars.

I almost forgot to add priming sugar once, my parents were over and wanted to watch as I bottle, I already had it in the bottling bucket and was about ready to begin and my mom said "so how does the beer get fizzy?", so I was able to boil some up and mix it in.

Where do I buy the Coopers drops???

Homebrewshops or online.

Another option, and if you choose to, do some searching on here for the right amount, is plain old sugar cubes. Several folks on here have mentioned using them. I don't know how much they use. But it's an option that's easily obtainable at any grocery store.

Well I did it. I opened up each bottle, and dropped two sugar cubes into each bottle and recapped. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks so much for the help... Homebrewtalk.com rocks!!!

Just wanted to let you guys know that the two sugar cubes per 22oz bottle worked great! Beer tastes great, and the carbonation is perfect! I love good head!

I might just use this method for the rest of my HB's.

Back