Foreclosed Brewery Grains (worth it?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stretch1991

Reaction score
So while I was driving home to Chicago from Detroit I found this brewery that had just been foreclosed on in the middle of the country. The bank who is trying to sell the place just so happened to be giving a tour to a prospective buyer. After he was done he showed me around for a bit and let me know what the plans where for the place, while I don't have the half a million they want for the place and equipment I came across a massive stockpile of various grains. Around 2500lbs left of unopened bags along with another 500 of opened bags of grains. The place has been out of business for two months now so it's relatively newer grains.

He gave me his card and told me to make him an offer on said grains. Does anyone have any insight on what would be reasonable? I don't want to come off as disrespectful but I feel like this real estate agent is just going to pocket what I offer him anyways.

I was hoping to pitch a $0.15 a pound for unopened and 0.07 for opened bags. Does this seem like a little to low? I really know nothing of how they have been stored or really how old they are. I just see a lot of grains that are going to get wasted I could scoop up cheap

My other concern is, if he counters my offer, at what point is it no longer worth the cost?

I'll also be making a 3 hour drive there to pick it up. I don't currently brew all grain but it's in the works over the next month or so if I can find some good used equipment

Contact a local hb club. He'll want all or nothing to go.
If you don't brew AG yet, you'll waste money
Your offer, or a bit more(.20/.10) is sound. I would pitch it a lump sum, not per pound rate.
Also, mention, if you need too, it's shelf life is greatly shortened if they are not going to keep the property climate controlled at all times​ in the middle of summer($$$) and if it rest in a humid environment, they may end up with a weavel or rodent infestation.

My other concern is, if he counters my offer, at what point is it no longer worth the cost?

I'll also be making a 3 hour drive there to pick it up. I don't currently brew all grain but it's in the works over the next month or so if I can find some good used equipment
Hi. Obviously, it depends on your pain threshold, but even at $0.20/lb for all 3000#, that's "only" $600. If you have the capability to haul 3000# of grain back home, you could sell it for twice that ($0.40/lb) and still undercut normal retail channels by quite a margin. I just checked and the cheapest 2-row I could find was about $0.65-0.70/lb (unshipped.) Not sure where you are, but I'm betting there are lots of homebrewers in the vicinity that would jump at the chance to buy malt at $0.40 -0.50/lb. Just sayin. Ed
:mug:

ETA: @jwin is correct, I'd probably go for a lot price, not the per/lb price. His other comments were right in line.

The grains are actually store in a shipping container out back. So they have been there for a minimum of three months with southwest Michigan countryside heat. Would it already be a lost cause then?

Maybe you could find another local brewery interested in buying the grain from you. Tell them you can get a great deal and that you will pick it up. That way if you have to buy all of the grain yourself. You can get some cheap for you and not have to store all of it, plus make some money on the deal also.

Wait, are you considering buying all of it? If you are going to drive 6 hours to get a ton and a half of grain and you don't even brew all grain then all I can say is

... I like the way you roll.

The grains are actually store in a shipping container out back. So they have been there for a minimum of three months with southwest Michigan countryside heat. Would it already be a lost cause then?

Wait, are you considering buying all of it? If you are going to drive 6 hours to get a ton and a half of grain and you don't even brew all grain then all I can say is

... I like the way you roll.

I brewed all grain 1 gallon batches when I was to young to legally purchase beer. Many years have passed and now I've got my own house and other "adult" things. So why not? I show up with that much grain and the wife won't even be able to deny me the ability to do it

I brewed all grain 1 gallon batches when I was to young to legally purchase beer. Many years have passed and now I've got my own house and other "adult" things. So why not? I show up with that much grain and the wife won't even be able to deny me the ability to do it

That's a lot of 1 gallon batches!! :)

I am probably not to far from this brewery and about 2 hrs from chicago. If you want pm me and i may be interested in doing this with you.

The grain should be fine. I'd offer $250 for everything, don't worry about the cost per pound. Use what you can and sell the rest on craigslist and Ebay for 50 cents a pound or less. If he wants more than $250, I'd just forget about it, not worth dealing with.

if you get it shoot me a price for 200 lbs of 2 row. Depending on the specialty grains I'd be interested in some but it depends on the amount and type. I'm about 20 miles west of Chicago so we can't be to far away.

I'd be in to help as well. Right by you in SH as well. So let me know. I wanted to start with my own grain anyway.

I say buy the whole lot and start contacting brew clubs and forums like this, you can sell by the sack or by a min of 5 pounds. It could be an interesting side business . I would even contact local breweries in Chicago, and give them a price they cant refuse. You can give them the whole back story, they wont care. Grains last a while if uncrushed, 3 month is nothing.

if you get it shoot me a price for 200 lbs of 2 row. Depending on the specialty grains I'd be interested in some but it depends on the amount and type. I'm about 20 miles west of Chicago so we can't be to far away.

case in point

I've pitched the offer so I am waiting to hear back and see if they accept.

If they do I will contact everyone who has said they are interested and I will get info and what they want and I'll let you know if I can pull it off.

Wholesale sell PRICE of that whole lot is probably only about $1200. A few hundred bucks cash money should win it. They probably have no clue what it's worth. It's taking up space.

If it's basic stuff i bet you could sell enough just listing it on here to break even and then the rest is profit or beer.

Back