Force Carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastings

Reaction score
Hey guys I'am going to force carbonate my pale ale in a keg. Its not cold i just have it out in my basement, how should i go about doing this, what psi and for how long?

For best result, chill the beer to serving temp. Then maintain that temp and apply 10-12 psi for about two weeks.

For FAST results, chill the beer, then apply 35 psi and shake it vigorously for about 3 minutes. Then leave the pressure set to 30 psi overnight. Maintaining serving temp the whole time.

then knock it down to 10 psi to serve?

My kegerator is set up for 12 psi, but if yours will maintain carbonation at 10 psi, that's what you should set it out.

I'm not one to "burst carb"- ie setting the pressure at 30 psi and then playing with it. I just stick it in the kegerator and leave it at 12 psi with all the other kegs.

If you're carbing at room temperatures, you'll need higher pressure than if the beer is cold. Check out a carbonation chart: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

For my taste, which is 2.5 volumes for most of my beers, I need 12 psi at 40 degrees. If you're doing this at room temperature, you'd need 29 psi at 65 degrees for the same volume of co2.

Back