For those who have used Mosaic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
I picked up a couple ounces and plan on using them in a pale ale. What do they play well with? Better in the kettle or as a dry hop?

I have amarillo, centennial, columbus, cascade, summit, citra, simcoe (maybe) that I could put in the mix.

I tasted an all Mosaic brew that someone did. It would play well with all of the hops you listed. It is supposed to be related to Simcoe. It has a more fruity flavor than simcoe.

Only made one brew, an IPA. I'd suggest late additions and dry hop. After ten days on the dry hop got a nice earthy flavor, don't think I'd call it grassy. Anyhow I was very pleased with these hops. I think they'd work well with the Centennial, Cascade and Citra as well as the Simcoe, I think they were derived from Simcoe? Don't know about the Amarillo, haven't used that one yet. I plan on pairing it with Citra next time, all flameout with a good long steep and then a 7-10 day dry hop.

I'm interested in this as well. I have a pound of whole leaf that I need to do something with. I had planned on treating them like I would citra or centennial. If there are any proven recipes out there, I would love to see them.

mytommygundont said:
I'm interested in this as well. I have a pound of whole leaf that I need to do something with. I had planned on treating them like I would citra or centennial. If there are any proven recipes out there, I would love to see them.

Did a basic IPA, turned out fantastic. Extract recipe

5 gallon batch

7# light LME
2# light DME
8 oz Crystal 60
8 oz Honey Malt

1 oz.Magnum 14.0 60 min
1 oz Mosaic 13.2 5 min
1 oz Mosaic 13.2 flameout
20 minute steep
Fermented three weeks in Primary then racked to keg &
2 oz Mosaic dry hop

After two weeks the beer was fantastic. I just left the hops in the keg as I liked the flavor I was getting but you might consider pulling them at around 10 days. The beer was a little sweet but conditioned well.

Next time I will cut back on the honey malt and up the Mosaic, and do only flameout and dry hop with the Mosaic

I have a rye pale ale in the fermenter that was all Mosaic, but I've got a few more weeks before I taste the results.

I'd mix them with some of the centennial or columbus you have on hand, but that's just my preference - I tend to steer clear from total fruit bombs.

I'd mix them with some of the centennial or columbus you have on hand, but that's just my preference - I tend to steer clear from total fruit bombs.

MMMM fruit bombs. I'm in the middle of a quandry with this hop. As much as I want to do a single hop beer to see what kind of flavors it's capable of, I also know that it would probably benefit from some added depth of hop character. As hard as Mosaci is to acquire, I don't want to waste it on a single hop beer when I could get a potentially better beer with a more complicated hop schedule.

Maybe I'll do the zombie dust clone with Mosaic instead...

Well, I'm taking the recipe for Two Hearted and scaling down the base malt to make a 5-6% pale ale. I doubled the grains so I can mash once and make 2 5 gallon batches.

One batch will be all centennial a la 2H. The other batch I want to use some mosaic.

I'm thinking
.5 centennial @ 60
.5oz centennial @ 15
.5 oz columbus @ 15
.5 oz centennial @ 5
.5 oz columbus @ 5
.5 oz mosaic, centennial, columbus @ whirlpool

dry hop with mosaic, centennial and columbus

I've used mosaic heavily by itself and it does well.

Also used it with Amarillo - worked great together. I'd say the Amarillo rounded it out very nicely. Cascade seems like it would work well too IMHO.

A brazilian brewery recently released a Double IPA with Omnipollo, its called Polimango. It tasted it yesterday and would say that its one of the best IPAs I ever had.

Anyway, it has this Columbus, Centennial and Mosaic combo. AMAZING!

Citra and Mosaic play well together. Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA uses both and it's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back