Follow the recipe or ideas for a different hop schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boochuckles

Reaction score
Today I am planning on making Palilalia IPA from The complete joy of homebrewing, 3rd edition (page 172) This is going to be the first time I have made something other then a Mr Beer recipe. I am going to do a 2.5 gallon batch and have cut everything in half.

2.75# Brewcraft Briess DME
0.5# Crystal malt 60L
0.25# brown malt (I have 0.5# JIC. Recipe calls to toast in oven for 10 mins so I got extra)
1oz Northern Brewers whole leaf
0.5oz cascade pellets
US-05 (5 gallon recipe calls for whole package, 11.5g. Should I use half?)

OG 1.052-56
FG 1.014-18
50 IBU
10-15 SRM

Steep 150-160 for 30 mins, remove
Add DME, and Northern Brewers, Boil 60 min
Cascade final min of boil
Strain and sparge on cold water.
Top off, cool and then pitch

My questions are:
Steeping temp?

After steeping, shouldn't I boil remove from heat and then add DME and hops, then return boil?

Boil all NB for 60mins or use a different schedule? I know nothing of NB so IDK if it is a hops I would add a little over time or all at once.

I have been cooling wort in the sink until 80F and then straining into fermentor. This or strain and then cool? Not sure if the hops should remain in the wort for the cooling or come right out?

Half or whole package of US-05?

I think that's about all the questions I have (right now) Thanks for any help to come

Today I am planning on making Palilalia IPA from The complete joy of homebrewing, 3rd edition (page 172) This is going to be the first time I have made something other then a Mr Beer recipe. I am going to do a 2.5 gallon batch and have cut everything in half.

0.5# Crystal malt 60L
0.25# brown malt (I have 0.5# JIC. Recipe calls to toast in oven for 10 mins so I got extra)
0.5oz cascade pellets

OG 1.052-56
FG 1.014-18
50 IBU
10-15 SRM

My questions are:
Steeping temp?

After steeping, shouldn't I boil remove from heat and then add DME and hops, then return boil?

Boil all NB for 60mins or use a different schedule? I know nothing of NB so IDK if it is a hops I would add a little over time or all at once.

I have been cooling wort in the sink until 80F and then straining into fermentor. This or strain and then cool? Not sure if the hops should remain in the wort for the cooling or come right out?

I think that's about all the questions I have (right now) Thanks for any help to come

For the steeping temp I would shoot for 154/155 for a medium body beer.

JLP said:

When you steep, your not getting any sugar out of the grains, it's just for color and flavor. I could be wrong here, but I thought unless your adding some base malt in there, there is no conversion, so no effect on things like body.

Anywhere from 150-165 or so is "normal", as per what I've read on here as well as through instructions that I've got with the kits I've done. A lot of recipes call for putting the steeping grains in when you start to heat the water, and to pull them out just before you reach 170F, or get it up to temp and then steep for 30min. I tend to heat a smaller amount of water to 160ish and then steep in that while the rest of my water is coming to a boil, takes about 30min for me to boil 5+ gal, so the timing works out great.

As for the hop schedule, is there a particular reason you'd like to change it? When you boil hops for 60min, it's a bittering addition. If you put less in at 60, but add it later in, you'll get less bitterness but a bit more flavor. To me, the recipe seems designed to bitter with NB and then get all the flavours and aroma from cascade. I don't see anything wrong with doing it that way at all myself.

From the Palilalia IPA recipes I find online it looks like all NB at 60 and the cascade at 1 min.

Not sure about bringing back up to a boil after extract addition, I'm all grain

Hops in the cooling wort is fine

Northern Brewer hops for 60 minutes.

Cool then strain into fermentor.

Leaf hops I would take out with the strainer during pour to fermentor.

Don't worry about some of the pellet hops going into the fermentor. They will settle into the trub.

Bring to boil, remove from heat add DME, return to boil, add hops.

One-half of an 11 gram package of yeast will do. Use the remainder within a week for 100% surety it will still be good.

KepowOb and Flars perfect timing. I just finished steeping was was bringing back to a boil when my phone told me I had a message. DME just mixed in and coming back to a boil. I wasn't sure about the hops because the me beer kits come with hopped LME. I kinda knew the idea of what they did just wasn't sure how to get it right. I want the cascade taste to come through in the end so i'm glad to hear this is the right way to do it. 1/2 package of yeast i can do. Water is almost to the right temp to start rehydrating it now. Thanks so much!

Side note: DME even though it looks like a powder. It has a very weird texture. SWMBO is not going to be happy if i leave any of this sticky powder around...

0.5# Crystal malt 60L
0.5oz cascade pellets

OG 1.052-56
FG 1.014-18
50 IBU
10-15 SRM

My questions are:
Steeping temp?

My advice is to stick with the suggested hop schedule. If you reduce the amount of time in the boil you will decrease the bitterness and increase the flavor from the hops. Continue with your current cooling techniques. If you allow the hops to stay in longer than the boil you will add more flavor which isn't bad for IPA. Only if the recipe calls for a flame out or aroma steep would you want to keep the hops in until it is chilled.

I would use the entire package of yeast. The cell requirement will be just about right.

When you steep, your not getting any sugar out of the grains, it's just for color and flavor. I could be wrong here, but I thought unless your adding some base malt in there, there is no conversion, so no effect on things like body.

As I understand it both of the grains will impart some fermentable sugars, so that is why I made that recommendation.

OP, sorry about the partial post. I don't know how that happened.

Overshot the OG a bit. ended up with 1.060 Pitched the whole package of yeast just to be sure. I'll keep everyone updated. THANKS for the help today! :mug:

So I was just reading another article about brewing and it said that you should not boil your wort and hops with the lid on, it can affect the flavor. WELL, i pretty much did the entire boil with the lid on. SWMBO says i can not boil in the house anymore because she does not like the smell in the house for a few days. I have been boiling out back on the burner on the grill. It works well and gets the boil done. However it does not get the boil hot enough to boil over but it stays boiling the whole time. I kept the lid on because i thought that would keep the heat in the best. Well is there a chance that i could have ruined this batch?

Well is there a chance that i could have ruined this batch?

Well, if it comes out a little corny tasting, at least you'll know what happened!

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry...after all, what's done is done. Just make sure you keep your fermentation temp steady and pitch a good quantity of healthy yeast. A fast, rigorous fermentation will help scrub out DMS.

So I was just reading another article about brewing and it said that you should not boil your wort and hops with the lid on, it can affect the flavor. WELL, i pretty much did the entire boil with the lid on. SWMBO says i can not boil in the house anymore because she does not like the smell in the house for a few days. I have been boiling out back on the burner on the grill. It works well and gets the boil done. However it does not get the boil hot enough to boil over but it stays boiling the whole time. I kept the lid on because i thought that would keep the heat in the best. Well is there a chance that i could have ruined this batch?

Get a propane burner (turkey fryer style). They're not overly expensive and work great. Just watch out if you get a turkey fryer as, apparently, they automatically switch off after a certain amount of time (some sort of safety feature).

Just pulled some out of the secondary to check SG and see how it was clearing up. It has a nice color to it and the SG is still down from moving to secondary last week. it's 1.012 now, I moved it at 1.014. I can't believe how good it tasted! It had a nice bitter bite at first and then the cascade came through a bit. I think when I make this again I'm going to try dry hopping more cascade. I wish I had time to bottle today. I should get to it next week and I can't wait to pop open a bottle of this! Thanks for helping me understand the hopping schedule! I couldn't have hoped for a better result

Back