Foamy output like I've never seen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyjerky214

Reaction score
I'm getting a foamy output from one of my kegs like I've never seen before. It was force carbed over two weeks and is sitting around 40º. The first few pints from the keg poured normal, and then all of a sudden last night, it started having what appears to be a line of foam shooting out.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWePOj275v0&[/ame]

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what was the cause? I took off the liquid post, lifted and reseated the liquid tube, checked the inside of the post to make sure nothing looked off, then reattached it. Still having the issue.

Because there are so few pieces in play, the only thing I could think is that it might be the poppet.

The photo is pretty crappy since it was just a screen grab from the video
Screen%20Shot%202015-03-12%20at%2010.04.33%20AM_zpsz9rsr54m.png

That's pretty crazy. When you took off the post, the dip tube o-ring looked OK? I would suspect that or the poppet. If there's some gunk in the poppet it could be nucleating the CO2 like that. There's also a very slim chance that you have a pinhole in the dip tube, the first few pints poured fine until the pinhole was exposed to the headspace...

Definitely a plugged poppet. And if it plugged once, it'll plug again, until the keg finishes coughing up the debris that's doing the plugging...

Cheers!

Actually, it turned out to be the quick disconnect. Swapped it out for another one, and it started pouring great again.

LOL! Ok, I'll add that one to the list.

btw, was the QD you removed plugged up with debris, or was it broken somehow?

Cheers!

I actually didn't notice anything off with it. Nothing clogging it, no broken or worn pieces, etc.

I took it apart, cleaned it, and it worked fine.

I don't keg but doesn't 40psi seem high for a beer. I thought 30 was the general force and then back to serving pressure.

I don't keg but doesn't 40psi seem high for a beer. I thought 30 was the general force and then back to serving pressure.

40 psi for an extended period would be rather high. OP said he kept his beer at 40 degrees, not psi. ;)

Yeah, it was at around 13 psi for two weeks to get carbonated. I tried using the QD on another keg yesterday, and it did the same thing. Worked fine for a couple pints, then turned foamy again. Guess it's time to retire that one.

Back