foamy Beer Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
I just set up a new kegerator and am getting massive foam. Solutions would be appreciated. Corny keg of IPA @40 degrees, 12 psi, using 5' of EVAbarrier 4mm. I also tried duotight fittings.

I have 3 meters running for my lines in a standard kegerator/tower setup with 4mm Eva barrier and duotight fittings. But that sounds (and looks) like a floating dip tube that isn’t fully submerged or has air stuck in it.
Thanks for the reply. It's a solid stainless dip tube in a standard 5g corny keg, but I agree that it's acting strange. I wonder if the o-ring at the top of the dip tube could be missing. I'll come back around and check that after a night of sleep.

Line length is likely too short. 5 feet seems to be the standard with store bought kegerators but it’s just not enough. Do a search for “keg balancing calculator” or “keg line length calculator”. Or just replace with 10 feet of line and call it good.

5 feet of 4mm ID line should be pretty darned close to "Good to Go".

[...]I wonder if the o-ring at the top of the dip tube could be missing. I'll come back around and check that after a night of sleep.

Definitely the first thing to check.
Otherwise, describe how you carbonated that keg...

Cheers!

Problem solved: the dip tube in my corny keg had a crack. I leave my kegs in the garage when not in use. Might have been some leftover water in there and it froze...

Attachments

• PXL_20211207_164438332.jpg
    PXL_20211207_164438332.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
Not trying to be negative nelly, but you had THAT in your keg?? Eeeeew. Especially for kegs that have been stored for a while, it's always a good idea to at least visually check inside to make sure no issues.

You're right, I failed on that one. I usually rinse and star San then after use, but have been contemplating that practice after seeing what was inside this keg. I think the ruptured dip tube allowed things to leech, but they still got in there.

Not trying to be negative nelly, but you had THAT in your keg?? Eeeeew. Especially for kegs that have been stored for a while, it's always a good idea to at least visually check inside to make sure no issues.

hey now, he just made me feel better about MY cleaning and santizing! ;) :mug:

edit: i think i'd splurge on a PBW soak for that bad boy!

Latest posts

Back