foamed out of airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonC

Reaction score
I started a 5 gal wine and a 5 gal beer yesterday. Overnight they both foamed out out of the airlock, Luckily the bench I use has a slight lip around it and stopped it from going everywhere. I replaced the airlock this morning with a tube going into a half full gallon jug and letting it foam out that way. I've had a beer foam over once but never a wine, and both of them in the same night seemed unusual. The only thing I did different was use a power paddle to mix the ingredients instead of stirring by hand. Could mixing this way cause a faster/stronger fermentation or is it just something that happens sometimes.

I don't know what a 'power paddle' is, but I'm guessing by the name of it, it probably aerated your wort and must more than a usual stirring by hand method would have done, thus you had more oxygen in there for the yeast to feed on, thus they were happier, thus the airlock issue.

It happens. It's common for brewers to automatically hook up a blowoff like the one you mentioned. Depending on the yeast strain, type of wort (or must), and fermentation temperature you can expect varying level of foam (krausen in brewing beer).

There is something called Fermcap S that you can add that can help reduce foaming, although I've had better luck using it while boiling than fermentation, but YMMV.

I don't know what a 'power paddle' is, but I'm guessing by the name of it, it probably aerated your wort and must more than a usual stirring by hand method would have done, thus you had more oxygen in there for the yeast to feed on, thus they were happier, thus the airlock issue.

stirring paddle driven by a drill. tried it that way this time instead of stirring by hand. just looking for an easier way. Guess that ain’t always best

This.

stirring paddle driven by a drill. tried it that way this time instead of stirring by hand. just looking for an easier way. Guess that ain’t always best

You did nothing wrong, and in fact you most likely helped the fermentation by the vigorous aeration. Most brewers use a similar method of aeration, or an oxygen stone, or vigorous sloshing/pouring/stirring. It's hard to over agitate your wort when it comes to providing good aeration. The reaction you had in your fermenter is a sign of very happy yeast, which is what brewing is all about.

Okay, so from now on i'll probably just start with a blow off tube instead of an airlock just incase. The beer will be transfered to a clean carboy in about 5 days just to get it off all the droppings so it should be fine. But the wine will probably go another two months before I do anything with it, when it settles down I'll switch back to an airlock but should I remove the bung and try to clean out the neck of the carboy so it doesn't have all that dried foam in there or just leave it alone.

Back