Flying internationally!???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitHole

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sooo I would like to take a pelican case of Homebrew all canned up with me to some friends in Malta.... what do you think the legal issues pertaining to this are.

I've transported commercially purchased alcohol in my checked bag many times, but never homebrew. And transporting a dedicated pelican full of homebrew looks pretty strange. That will definitely raise some eyebrows with customs. I personally wouldn't try it.

I don't know about the specific legality of it, but I think any customs official paying attention would want to open the case and would call that more than simply "personal use"

There's a volume limit on alcohol too usually I think

Those would go through customs as well and the tax-free allowance is only for items you take with you while travelling in person, not for shipped goods.

Take it in your checked luggage. No problem, but you need to declare it. I have transported many cases of beer, and bottles of wine, even small kegs of Heineken without any problems.
But as a pilot for United Airlines, courtesies were afforded to me that made it less of a hassle.
But you can still take it with you. Just declare the alcohol.

Every person of at least 17 years of age can bring 16 liters of beer to Malta.

With non-comercially produced beer (i.e. without an official label with, among others, values for volume and ABV) you might have issues convicing customs officials that the bottles do indeed contain beer and not, for example, distilled spirits or wine which have much lower tax-free allowances.
From what I can find in Maltese law, production and possession of homebrew is legal in Malta with no excise duty required as long as the beer is not for commercial distribution. You could probably get by with labels stating "Homebrewed Beer" and other information as suggested, and as long as you're within that 16 liter limit.

What I'd be more worried about is how your state might view you transporting homebrew to the airport and flying it out of the country. Some states are sticklers about taking homebrew off your property if you're not headed to a competition (and I'm looking at you, Ohio).

Realize that I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the interwebz. If you're that concerned, check with a lawyer conversant in international shipping and your home state's laws pertaining to the transportation of homebrew.

If the customs agents inspect the case and decide they want the beer, they will find a reason to take it.

You could do the UPS/Fedex route, as mentioned upthread, but you will have to fill out a customs dec when sending. And again, if someone decides they want it, they will take it.

Whatever the case, it's a roll of the dice. But go for it. If you pull it off, your friends will be impressed.

From what I can find in Maltese law, production and possession of homebrew is legal in Malta with no excise duty required as long as the beer is not for commercial distribution. You could probably get by with labels stating "Homebrewed Beer" and other information as suggested, and as long as you're within that 16 liter limit.

What I'd be more worried about is how your state might view you transporting homebrew to the airport and flying it out of the country. Some states are sticklers about taking homebrew off your property if you're not headed to a competition (and I'm looking at you, Ohio).

Realize that I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the interwebz. If you're that concerned, check with a lawyer conversant in international shipping and your home state's laws pertaining to the transportation of homebrew.

What are you referring to?
According to the AHA website it is not statutorily recognized. I don't see anything about transportation:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrewing-rights/statutes/ohio/
Although I guess there's some issues that they are trying to work out:

https://www.ohiosenate.gov/senators...trictions-on-local-homebrewers-and-fermenters

What are you referring to?
According to the AHA website it is not statutorily recognized. I don't see anything about transportation:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrewing-rights/statutes/ohio/
Although I guess there's some issues that they are trying to work out:

https://www.ohiosenate.gov/senators...trictions-on-local-homebrewers-and-fermenters
There's nothing in Ohio statutes that allows a homebrewer to transport their brew off their premises, and transportation of unpermitted beer is prohibited under ORC 4301.60

Back