Flubbed my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theNOOB

Reaction score
So I made a yeast starter at 2 a.m. last night (not my brightest idea ever) and it wasn't until after I pitched the yeast and shook the bejesus out of it to aerate that I realized I was supposed to do that in the opposite order. I know too much agitation is harmful to yeast. Will this starter still work? Im seeing a little sediment now at 4 p.m. but the wort is too cloudy to really tell what's happening.
Thanks

The agitation doesn't hurt the yeast. Stirplates and orbital shakers keep the starter in a constant state of agitation, and they produce much more yeast propagation than simple starters.

It's only been 14 hours. Depending on the vitality and viability of the yeast, it'll take some time for the starter to take off. When it does, you'll see millions of tiny CO2 bubbles in the starter beer.

This link may ease your thoughts
http://***********/stories/wizard/a...-is-it-possible-to-aerate-your-yeast-too-much

Back