Flu virus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkeletorMob

Reaction score
Well hell, I came down with a gnarly flu, and there is a gallon I'm supposed to rack. I have only a siphon hose and my infected mouth to rack with. Any suggestions for a safe racking? At the moment I'm planning on not touching anything till I'm better.

Being sick is a bummer. Sorry. What are you racking? Most beer/wine/cider/mead can hang out a few extra days with no issues.

If you absolutely HAVE to rack today and use the suck approach, sanitize a piece of foil or saran wrap and put it over the end of the tube, then pull it off before placing the tube in the next vessel. Make sure you dont exhale into the tube.

You could also fill the tube with sanitizer/water mix, drop the tube to start the siphon (get a bucket ready), then quickly put the tube into the next vessel when the sani-solution runs out and the beverage is flowing.

Your best bet long-term is to invest in a small autosiphon and a few feet of tubing.

Point taken sir, thank you very much! :) I appreciate the brainstorm on the sanitary cover, like the doctors do! You are right about necessity too, I'm late already per plan for racking so extra time won't hurt anything at all. That is why it bugged me though haha just getting in the way! Figured I'd drum up the convo to satiate my patience :)
I'm supposed to be mixing for Christmas too! Arg
Common sense prevails, thanks again!

Cut an inch or so piece of tubing. Hold it flush against your siphon tube and suck. Remove the small piece and siphon away. You should be able to get it going without ever making contact with your mouth.

Being that the only temp controlled environment inside my bedroom closet, does anyone see a potential for contamination?

Mead, wine, cider, and beer all have alcohol and acidity, they are not susceptible to viral infection. They all have a long history of being used to clean wounds because of their anti-microbial properties. The only things that could infect it would be acetobacteria from the air, or lactobacillius/pediococcus from your mouth/body (they both always there). If your normal procedures have been effective at keeping these bugs at bay, you got nothing to worry about. :mug:

Flu virus can't live very long outside the body under most conditions.

http://www.flu.gov/planning-preparedness/hospital/influenzaguidance.html
Influenza A and B viruses can persist on dry environmental surfaces, both porous and nonporous. Laboratory studies conducted to evaluate this persistence document survival periods that vary widely in length, depending on environmental factors. Low relative humidity levels (e.g., < 50%) and cool, ambient temperatures are associated with longer periods of activity. Influenza A virus can survive on hard, nonporous surfaces (e.g., stainless steel, hard plastic) for 24 &#8211; 48 hours and on porous materials (e.g., cloth, paper) for < 8 &#8211; 12 hours in ambient temperatures (1). Virus persistence on surfaces increases up to 72 hours when those surfaces are moist or wet (2). Early laboratory studies with the PR-8 strain of influenza virus recovered infectious virus from cotton fabric after several weeks (3). However, the extent to which these surfaces and materials contributed to actual spread of infection was not determined. Influenza virus persistence on hands also varied widely. One early study demonstrated that dried influenza virus can persist on hands for at least 3 hours (4), whereas more recent studies have shown that virus can remain stable on the hands for < 5 minutes (1). Infectious virus can be transferred to hands from nonporous surfaces for at least 2 &#8211; 8 hours during periods of heavy viral shedding in respiratory secretions (1). Virus transfer from porous materials to the hands is much less efficient, being severely affected by rapid drying. In this instance, infectious virus was transferred at detectable levels to the hands for only 15 minutes (1).

Back