Flavored beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnhoskins

Reaction score
So the swmbo talked me into brewing a raspberry ale. My ? Is, the instructions sat to add the flavor crap at bottling time, but I've read that sometimes the flavoring takes a while to "mellow", should I add it when I rack to secondary? Just lookin for som opinions

I just made a raspberry wheat ( like abita purple haze) and I added it right before kegging and the flavor is AWESOME!!! I wouldnt use all 4 oz's though I used a little under 3 oz and it was just right.

There's a good recipe on this website for a raspberry ale, link pasted below. I made it a couple years ago and it came out nicely. It uses actual raspberries in the secondary, the kind you get in the frozen food section at the grocery store for a few bucks a bag. For what it's worth, I think that part of the fun of homebrewing is using real ingredients so I prefer using real fruit to using a flavoring, but that's just me. Here's the link to the recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/requiem-raspberry-56285/

Thanks y'all! I may try the fresh fruit thing, I'm just not wanting it to come out tasting like Kool-aid is all.

I brew a lot of wheat beer with the raspberry flavoring. The guys loved it at my last poker game. I always put it in right before I bottle. I use the entire bottle and it always comes out great. At least for me but everyone's taste is different.

Raspberry ESB uses 4lbs of thawed frozen raspberries in last 10 minutes of boil and transfer raspberries to primary has worked in a 5 gal ESB for me. The maltiness with the tartness of raspberries goes well, use any of the woody english hops that normally go into an ESB. Color turns almost garnet.

Back