Flavor Profiles 2-row english v. american

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForerunnerBrewer

Reaction score
I've been trying to find what the specific flavor differences are between American 2-row and English pale malt, specifically Muntons.

I understand American has a more neutral flavor and English is a little richer or biscuity, but no one seems to say much else.

I've made biscuity beers and used Marris Otter so I understand what that tastes like.

So my question is: is English Pale/2-row (Not Marris Otter) neutral enough to be a go-to grain when it comes to Non-English style Beers? And what are the flavors that it imparts?

I'm making an IIPA along the lines of Bells Two Hearted IPA and A 'lil Sumpin Sumpin wheat/APA. I have Muntons Pale. I don't want a beady flavor to get in the way. Also I read it has lower diastic power than American which I find hard to beleive it is significant if it is meant to be a base malt. I could be wrong.

Here's the recipe, let me know if you think this English malt will contribute a significant difference v. American 2-row

10 lbs Muntons Pale
4 lbs Wheat

60 min:
-.5 oz Fuggles
-.25 Columbus
-.25 Chinook
45 min:
-.25 Columbus
-.25 Chinook
30 min:
-.25 Columbus
-.25 Chinook
15 min:
-.25 Columbus
-.25 Chinook
-.5 Fuggles
Dry Hop: 1 oz Chinook 1 oz Columbus 1 oz Centennial 2 oz Cascade

Mash @ around 156, maybe higher. You know the drill for everything else!
7.7 ABV - 78.5 IBU - FG 1.019

Thanks all!
-John

---------------------
AG Great Divide Oak Aged Yetti clone- drinking
Oak Aged Stout Partial Mash Christmas Present- Secondary
End of Summer APA-Delicious and tragically only one liter left
Pumkin Ale- Could have been alot better, it's hard to drink and harder to get rid of!

Back