Flaked grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
So I am looking at doing a recipe that calls for flaked oats/barley. I read that I need to mash them to utilize them. What does the mash do? Activate protein? In the past I only used it during my steeping... so I assume I wasn't getting any use out of them?

I have never mashed anything so this is new to me.

mashing is a lot like steeping, though it is steeping it with some base grains which releases enzymes which break down starches into sugars. You can just steep flaked oats/barley like you would specialty grains for mouthfeel/flavor though. You will get no fermentables out without a mash.

Oh ok. So if I mash them with the Marris Otter and 2 row base I would get the fermentables I'm looking for from them?

Old fashioned oats (also called steel cut oats) need to be cooked to prepare the starches to be converted to sugar during the mash. Just read the directions, prepare oatmeal and pop it into the mash after it has cooked. Quick oats have been precooked and can just be tossed into the mash with the barley.

Back