Fizzy beer, no head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IEpicDestiny

Reaction score
Hi,

I have done a batch using Simply Ritchies Lager kit.

I have stored my bottles at 24 degrees C for 2 and a half weeks now. I put one of the bottles in the fridge for 48 hours and tried it tonight.

There was a loud pop (swingtop bottle) and as I poured it had a slight head which fizzed out within 15 seconds.

The taste is not too bad but definitely not as good as a normal beer, a little yeasty..

Does it need more time? Did I overcarbonate it? (I put exactly 2 drops of carbonation drops (which on the packet said was the amount for my 500ml bottle)

Please help

If it's not gushing, the carbonation levels are fine. The lack of head is due to the lack of dextrins in the beer, and not something you did wrong. You can fix this once you go to all grain brewing.

Regarding the yeasty flavours - yes, give it time. Beers typically reach peak maturation after at least 6 weeks in the bottle. I prefer longer. Also, if you pour, make sure you don't pour the yeast into the glass as well. That'll help with the yeasty flavour.

Finally, store the bottles upright, not on their sides.

Oh yes, now really finally, if the yeast fizzes up into suspension when you open the bottle due to too high carbonation, you can burb the swingtops. Just open them slightly and let off the gas in the neck, then seal them again and set them aside again. That's what I'd do, personally, because I only used one carbonation drop per 500ml bottle when I still bottled.

Latest posts

Back