Fizzen to spend some more $$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
Well I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a new immersion chiller!

The one I have is a 3/8 x 25 with another 3/8 x 20 smaller coil on the inside. It does great for 5 gallon batches but struggles with the 10 gallon batches..

Looks like NY Brew Supply has about the best price.. $108 shipped from their Amazon store. At my local Lowes a roll of 1/2" by 50' is like 85 bucks so it's a no-brainer to me..

That way I won't have to fool with making it up and it'll come with garden hose adapters already on it.. that's worth 20 bucks to me! PLUS since they have an Amazon store and I'm an Amazon affiliate, that's money back :)

I'm also going to make up a whirlpool arm and start using the march pump to help chill and whirlpool!

Now I just need to sell my Garmin Golflogix GPS so I can cover the cost and feel really good about spending that much on copper! haha

YAY FOR ME! haha

I have 50' of 3/8 and it takes about 25min to cool a 10gal batch. I would go with a plate chiller if you really want to see a difference in your cooling time.

I have 50' of 3/8 and it takes about 25min to cool a 10gal batch. I would go with a plate chiller if you really want to see a difference in your cooling time.

I've been reading pros/cons of both for a couple of weeks and it made my head hurt! ha

I came to the conclusion that since I use pellet hops and don't use hops sacks and don't really want to use hop sacks again that an IC may be a better choice for my keggle.

I don't know how good the whirlpool will work for the hop/cold break sediment but I'm afraid to take a chance on the plate chiller clogging with what I'm using.

Also been reading about better hop utilization from whirlpooling especially during those first few moments when you start the whilrpool after the boil, and since I'm going to whirlpool anyway for that reason, that also seemed to make sense to just go ahead with the IC??

Dunno, maybe I'm over thinking e/thing but just makes better sense to me...

I bought my 50' x 1/2" IC from NY Brew Supply earlier this year. Definitely the cheapest around. Very happy with it. Well constructed. Shipping was quick.

I won't get a chance to test it with a 10 gallon batch until a few weeks from now, but I'm sure it will work quickly. I've been able to chill 5 gallons of wort to 80 degrees in <12 minutes using recirculated snow water via a portable sump though.

I bought my 50' x 1/2" IC from NY Brew Supply earlier this year. Definitely the cheapest around. Very happy with it. Well constructed. Shipping was quick.

I won't get a chance to test it with a 10 gallon batch until a few weeks from now, but I'm sure it will work quickly. I've been able to chill 5 gallons of wort to 80 degrees in <12 minutes using recirculated snow water via a portable sump though.

Cool, thanks for the input! I went ahead and placed the order! Looking forward to trying it out!

I have a bad feeling about that Deerso ad. My bet is that price is for the shortest length of 1/2" OD tubing in the list...

Cheers!

Back