Fist AG with some new gear, small disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Full Throttle

Reaction score
I am a little ticked right now. I built a new Mash tun and decided to make a Belgium, everything came out perfect, hit almost every number right on. While cooling my IC springs a leak (used it many times before) and put almost a gallon of water back into my wort before I noticed. I have two options boil it back down but I do not have finishing hops to add back at the end or bring back the boil and add some Pils extra dry DME I have on hand to get it back, already did some calcs in Beersmith and it looks like I might be OK expect for the fact it will now be extra hoppy from the extra boil on the finish hops. Any input here?
thanks,
Mike

Definitely boil. the beer only tastes as good as the ingredients you put into it( the chlorinated water from you IC) Boil the chlorine out and then add some dry hops to the secondary or the keg to counter the increased IBU with flavor and aroma. Do not throw it out until you finish the process to determine it still taste like Satan's anus. you need to boil it just to sterilize it again.

I gave it another 30 minute boil and added .75 lbs of the extra light DME for the last 15. Still smelled good but not a fabulous as it did before, OG came in at 1.068 so not too bad condidering. Will definitly dry hop as suggested. Going to hit the secondary with some sugar too. Back to the LHBS I guess. It just went into the fermenting cabinet for final chill before pitching. I am dog tired, this was the longest brew day ever.
ML

Sure, you can make it again. Just put an extra gallon of water in at the end of the boil, and boil for another 30 minutes, adding .75 lbs of extra light DME for the last 15. Dry hop, and add some sugar to the secondary.:p

sucks. It happened to me on my last batch. Luckily, it came off after 10 minutes into chilling, otherwise it would've sprayed scalding-hot water into my Friends SWMBO's eyes :O

You have a good OG. why do you want to sugar the secondary?

It is supposed to be a Beligum strong ale so the target OG in Beersmith is 1.070 to 1.095. The original recipie called for it as well so I am going to go forward, I am also concerned about the extra boil time turning my aroma hops into bittering hops and adding exta IBU's
Mike

Back