Fishing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used the FishBob App? Someone on Reddit made it to log your fishing successes. I took it a step further to help analyze data, and pick lures accurately based on your person experiences. I wrote a blog post about it here. All about FishBob - It's a free fishing log, I dive into how to use it for fishing analytics to help you make better lure choices based on your own unique experiences http://fishnh.org/fishbob-great-fish-logging-tool/

Also, I strung up my rod yesterday. We are having a warm streak the next two weeks (And yet it's a full blizzard outside what the heck), and hopefully it will get all the ice out of here so I can do some fishing. I also set my drag with a digital scale for the first time, so that's exciting.

Been a fisherman my whole life. Grew up and lived in Maine. Now moved to Minnesota we didn't have some of the species of fish there they do here. I've become a die hard Carp angler here. They get huge and fight harder than any fish I've ever caught.

imagejpeg_0_5.jpg

imagejpeg_1_5.jpg

IMG_20150714_202010.jpg

Been a fisherman my whole life. Grew up and lived in Maine. Now moved to Minnesota we didn't have some of the species of fish there they do here. I've become a die hard Carp angler here. They get huge and fight harder than any fish I've ever caught.

hell ya, carp fishing is awesome. best fight per pound. i recently took it a step closer and started hunting them :)

WP_20150508_004.jpg

WP_20150416_003.jpg

OK, for those of you non-salt water fishers: portable fishing boat that can be taken camping without a trailer...go.

Trailer cannot be used because the set-up is a Class C RV pulling a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited...if I put a trailer behind the Jeep, I don't think I'd make it 2 miles without being stopped and ticketed.

If it matters for portable boat suggestions, the Jeep is the 4 door type and is sometimes soft top and sometimes hard top. I am opposed to drilling holes anywhere on the RV for mounting purposes.

Any ideas?

That's what we use for most all fishing, both saltwater and fresh water.

I have 12' kayaks, and those are "recreational" sized so not for Lake Superior, but ok for medium moving water and waves, and flat lakes as well. They are the "sit in" kind, but I don't have a spray skirt and I stay pretty dry on most days.

I have an inflatable Sea Eagle kayak also, but I only used it once. I don't remember hating it, but it's not nearly as comfortable to sit in or paddle as a regular kayak. You can get a rack for your Jeep if you want.

We also have a 12' jonboat and that is easy to move and carry as well.

These were regular fare at the gasthauses (restaurants) when I was in Germany. Split right down the middle with everything intact (minus the guts, of course), baked, hanging off both sides of the plate. Delicious. Last thing you do is eat the eyeball (after a bier or two). :D

Anyone ever own a Porta Bote?

Fellow blow boat owner I know does, and they use it as their tender...He loves it. Obviously it must be able to handel choppy salt water conditions, beach landings and hauling 2 people and gear/groceries back and forth in those conditions.

Fellow blow boat owner I know does, and they use it as their tender...He loves it. Obviously it must be able to handel choppy salt water conditions, beach landings and hauling 2 people and gear/groceries back and forth in those conditions.

Good to hear. Logistically, it is the ideal set-up, but I'd probably be into it for about $3,500-$4,000, with an electric motor, so I want to make sure it'll be durable at that price tag.

Jon boat is fairly portable and affordable. Can put a small motor on one too.

We used to troll with one, rowing it across the lake. The pike and walleye hit the bait hard because the rowing causes the trailing bait to act more natural.

Anyone ever own a Porta Bote?

We've got two. My Father bought them years ago to fly on the side of his airplane. (Which has been since regulated to be illegal)

They are amazingly nice boats for what they are. A little on the flexible side, but durable. They are no sub for an aluminum boat, but if you have constraints that prevent that, they are great. Ours are almost 20 years old now and still in good shape.

Yesterday was a beautiful day, and today is another gorgeous day. Here is yesterday's fish (he kept one, since that's all we wanted)

Beautiful redfish your husband caught Yoop! Those are excellent on the grill!
Goes very well with one of your pale ales!

John

I always wanted a 16' to 18' aluminum tri-hull. The stability of a john boat, with the speed of a v-hull. An electric trolling motor, like minnkota. No gas engines on reservoirs around here.

OK, for those of you non-salt water fishers: portable fishing boat that can be taken camping without a trailer...go.

Trailer cannot be used because the set-up is a Class C RV pulling a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited...if I put a trailer behind the Jeep, I don't think I'd make it 2 miles without being stopped and ticketed.

If it matters for portable boat suggestions, the Jeep is the 4 door type and is sometimes soft top and sometimes hard top. I am opposed to drilling holes anywhere on the RV for mounting purposes.

Any ideas?

Canoe. After reading your other post, canoe with a flatish bottom. Maybe a Scanoe. They're kind of long, though.

Canoe is obviously not a novel concept. Specifics about transporting?

You'll probably want to strap it to the top of the Jeep. I think you said no to topping the RV with anything.

A scanoe will have a square stern for mounting a motor. Some have a space for a battery or gas tank.

For a canoe, you can mount an electric motor to one side or make a transom of sorts from two pieces of right angle metal, two nuts and bolts, and maybe a block of wood to make up space for the motor to clamp too. That's what I did. I'll see if I still have the transom to post pics of.

You can also make pontoons out of five gallon water jugs and fence boards. We had one. Made the Ram-X steady as a barge.

I transported a canoe many hundreds of miles by trying the bow to the front bumper, the stern the the rear bumper, and passed a pull tight strap over the hull and through the open doors of a pickup. Close the doors on the strap. A moving blanket will protect the roof. You'll have to fiddle with the strap or it catches wind and makes a maddening buzz. :drunk:

Just watch how tight you cinch down. It needs to be plenty tight, but don't crush the boat. And don't store it tied down like this. It will eventually warp. Trips of several hours should be fine.

Got to keep the fishin thread going. Nice Montery Ling with me and swmbo, a boccacio and a golden gate salmon
What does a Party boat cost up there for a 3/4 day trip? Hey how deep are you fishing for the Rockfish and nice lings.:mug:

What does a Party boat cost up there for a 3/4 day trip? Hey how deep are you fishing for the Rockfish and nice lings.:mug:

Most trips are about 90-100 bucks a full day 0600-1600.there are not many half day trips I know about, most are full days. It's More if you need to rent tackle and a pole. I've got more poles and tackle than any one man should ever own so it's a little cheaper for me.

For the rockfish and lings usually we fish at about 80-120 feet. There is a depth restriction in the regs for California , I think it is 180 feet but don't quote me on that. I usually fish out of the sf bay fleet and head out to the farollon islands , some really quality fish out there. The pictures above was a boat out of Monterey in October fishing off the Carmel coast. We have had a couple banner ling COD years in a row now, especially in the fall when they move closer to shore .

Nice catches, i've never done seafishing, it's bit too much of a trek from here ;D

The ice is starting to melt finally, so soon it's time to get the gear out and do our first "normal" fishing of the year, especially as the pike will soon be spawning.

Most trips are about 90-100 bucks a full day 0600-1600.there are not many half day trips I know about, most are full days. It's More if you need to rent tackle and a pole. I've got more poles and tackle than any one man should ever own so it's a little cheaper for me.

For the rockfish and lings usually we fish at about 80-120 feet. There is a depth restriction in the regs for California , I think it is 180 feet but don't quote me on that. I usually fish out of the sf bay fleet and head out to the farollon islands , some really quality fish out there. The pictures above was a boat out of Monterey in October fishing off the Carmel coast. We have had a couple banner ling COD years in a row now, especially in the fall when they move closer to shore .
done here in LA the price is a little less by 15 dollars or so. I also have more rods and reels than I need but when I take people fishing they don't rent. :mug: Down here the best rock fish is in Oxnard. But if you want to catch something that fights such as yellowtail or tuna go to San Diego, but you will spend 200 a day or more. for the overnightstrips.

I went out a few times last week but got skunked three times, and it was still pretty cold. Now we have snow and ice again so I'm done til it his 60F or so.

@Ridire,

Where we fish we see a ton of Kayakers (and an annoying self centered lot they are around here) but to your issue I would point out that there is a guy who brings them in strapped to the top of his jeep without issue. Two of them to be exact although they're smaller boats. They do make some fishing specific models (tend to be heavier I've noticed but hold more weight) but the lengths are fairly comparable form best I can tell. Honestly with no more than a rod and small tackle strapped I have zero doubt I could get by if I wanted to. Wouldn't require a trailer that way although he hangs a red flag off the back as it overlaps the way he straps them down by about a foot. Would really depend on the laws of your state though.

I caught my first ever trout today! It was a stocker rainbow on the Patuxent river. I was (still am) so excited!

WzDQd0C.jpg

Also caught a decent sized fallfish and a remarkably tiny largemouth on the trip.

VL01BpA.jpg

v7zNghT.jpg

done here in LA the price is a little less by 15 dollars or so. I also have more rods and reels than I need but when I take people fishing they don't rent. :mug: Down here the best rock fish is in Oxnard. But if you want to catch something that fights such as yellowtail or tuna go to San Diego, but you will spend 200 a day or more. for the overnightstrips.

a multi day trip for some tuna is on my bucket list for sure. Bluefin and yellowfin specifically. San Diego does seem like the spot. I would love to go rockfishing down south too, see the different variety of fish. Mostly blacks, blues and olives up here with an occasional vermillion.

My buddy's got his bass boat on the water and asked me to go today. He likes to be on the water at daybreak, which I have no problem with. But daybreak here in western New York right now brings with it sub-freezing temps, frozen line guides, fingers and toes. My idea of fishing is to relax and enjoy oneself, not to be so miserable you can't wait until it's over with.

I do a yearly guided trip on Lake Ontario for salmon and lake trout. We leave out of Rochester. The lake trout is delicious grilled. We usually catch our limit.

I vacuum seal and freeze some of it and enjoy it during the winter. I'm getting ready to go out again next month.

I caught my first ever trout today! It was a stocker rainbow on the Patuxent river. I was (still am) so excited!

Nice! Not far from you - live in Eldersburg (just off Liberty Rd and 32), want to get more into fishing (and get the kiddos into it), so looking to find a good shore spot on Liberty Reservoir, go after some bass.

Our sailing season got disrupted by other commitments this year so not much fishing recently for me. Last big fishing trip was to the rio San Juan in Nicaragua. Buddy and I stayed at a lodge and fished the monster Tarpon in river there till we were too tired to fish anymore. Caught loads of Robalo (Snook) too.

Thats one of the smaller Tarpon in the pics, we hooked up on a few that were in the 200lb range.

View attachment 1460640966040.jpg

View attachment 1460641008334.jpg

View attachment 1460641073813.jpg

Yep. Honest to god I caught that fish just like that. I had to take a pic.

Wow, I mean even for a little doinker like that to get snagged is a feat in itself! I have an old photo somewhere of the smallest one I caught, a tiny largemouth smaller than my Rapala, and one barb of the treble hook was in his mouth! He actually went after it while it was floating on the surface. Guess it doesn't matter what size a largemouth is or how big a bait is, they just have that killer instinct.

Back