Fishing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oki, just checking, I fish quite a bit, both in summer and winter, but never got the idea of not eating what you catch.
Agreed. I go fishing to get food lol. We have strict rules here on a lot of fish. So I usually only bring home 1 or 2, unless I go deep sea fishing.

we have rules for salmon, but not for most other fish, only rules you can really get screwed on are on net fishing, which is forbidden during most of the summer due to seal young getting stuck in nets.

Catfish from the SS127 today.

Attachments

• Catfish 102018.jpg
    Catfish 102018.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 81
Any y'all use a castable fish finder like Deeper or similar? I see the videos and reviews. Deeper looks good. I want to hear it from people I know are drunken fishermen.

Its funny how freshwater guys love freshwater and saltwater fish to eat, but us saltys only eat saltwater fish. Catfish every so often.

Maybe its a florida thing, but theres nothing in the lakes or rivers I'd go out of my way to eat. I don't freshwater fish at all, though.

I used to not freshwater fish much. It was easy to salt in south Lousiana. Now in north Texas, about all I do is fresh. Salt is more action. Fresh takes more skill.

...Maybe its a florida thing, but theres nothing in the lakes or rivers I'd go out of my way to eat...

I know what you mean, there's plenty of lakes and rivers where I catch and release, but only a few places where I'll keep the catch for the table.

I'm blessed to live 15 minutes away from a very small river that runs crystal clear. It's unique, it runs almost its entire course on top of a mountain. In the summer there's great fishing, in the winter there's great whitewater paddling.

If forced to choose, I’d pick eating saltwater fish over freshwater fish. But I don’t dig saltwater fishing.

Motoring for hours on end over a featureless seascape just isn’t worth relatively brief time in the catch zone.

With freshwater, you’re generally enwrapped with nature as soon as you get out of your vehicle. If you need to hike for a while to get to the hole it’s a bonus.

Love me some panko fried perch

I use 1 part panko with 3 parts Drake's fry mix. Pat the fillets dry then dip in a two egg with 1/2 a homebew mixture then dredge them through the panko/Drakes. Into hot canola oil and viola! Delicious. BTW, I really like a lot of different fish from both fresh and salt water.

I use 1 part panko with 3 parts Drake's fry mix. Pat the fillets dry then dip in a two egg with 1/2 a homebew mixture then dredge them through the panko/Drakes. Into hot canola oil and viola! Delicious. BTW, I really like a lot of different fish from both fresh and salt water.
Sounds delicious. We change it up sometimes and do them tempura. Keep the breading lite and let the sweet white flesh shine.

If forced to choose, I’d pick eating saltwater fish over freshwater fish. But I don’t dig saltwater fishing.

Motoring for hours on end over a featureless seascape just isn’t worth relatively brief time in the catch zone.

With freshwater, you’re generally enwrapped with nature as soon as you get out of your vehicle. If you need to hike for a while to get to the hole it’s a bonus.
If you fish the flats your essentially fishing docks, mangrove shorelines, oyster bars, grass, etc. It's similar to bass fishing I suppose.

But anything else you're out on the open ocean. But realing in a 15lb gag grouper... Oh boy!

Panko is good. So is coarse cornmeal so it has a crunch.

Far off shore is featureless. I did mostly lake, marsh, and near shore. Rigs, too. The marsh is fun.

What happened to this thread???

I've really missed being able to go to Canada this year. I've made a few trips to the Minnesota/Canadian border in Voyageurs National Park. The fishing was not fantastic, but it was fun to get out on the water.

I'm excited now as I'm gearing up for some ice fishing. I bought a new insulated hub tent and am shopping now for portable heaters. The plan is to do some overnight winter camping/ice fishing. Hopefully the border will open back up before spring and I can do some of that up in the great white north!

Anybody here have experience with hot tent camping? I am loving the look of this wood stove, but not sure it's worth the money.

It was a shitty here this year. Everything was closed so so many new people decided to take up fishing for a new hobby. Everywhere was over run and over fished, I stopped taking the kayak out by June it was just too crowded and not worth it. Next year I hope to get back to normal

I've just been too busy with renovations at the cottage that the boat has just sat there on the beach.....sad, but next year at least the dock will be good enough for just docking the boat instead of having to drag it on land every time.

Any y'all use a castable fish finder like Deeper or similar? I see the videos and reviews. Deeper looks good. I want to hear it from people I know are drunken fishermen.

I used one on a fishing trip in MI a couple years ago. Might have been called an iBobber (it looked like a round white/red bobber). I did work, sorta. It saw things. I don't think it helps us catch fish though.

Castable sonar now? Jeeze :D

2020 was supposed to be my year of fishing. From the jump it didn't happen - our March trip to Cat Island in the Bahamas for some bonefishing got cancelled and it was all downhill from there.

Did manage to do a few days of salt water fishing on our Cape Week with the whole family, lots of fish caught, a couple of stripers kept.
And I did get my boys on a small lake up in Cow Hampster a couple of weeks ago right after the NH F&W dumped 500 two year old rainbows in (we flattened our barbs and were like kids in an arcade for an afternoon :)).

But that's it for 2020...

Cheers! (2021 sure AF better be better than this...)

Castable sonar now? Jeeze :D

2020 was supposed to be my year of fishing. From the jump it didn't happen - our March trip to Cat Island in the Bahamas for some bonefishing got cancelled and it was all downhill from there.

Did manage to do a few days of salt water fishing on our Cape Week with the whole family, lots of fish caught, a couple of stripers kept.
And I did get my boys on a small lake up in Cow Hampster a couple of weeks ago right after the NH F&W dumped 500 two year old rainbows in (we flattened our barbs and were like kids in an arcade for an afternoon :)).

But that's it for 2020...

Cheers! (2021 sure AF better be better than this...)

Well, fishing should not be affected by the panicdemic, but otherwise I'd shoot for normalcy in 2022.

Two of my favorite Maine lodges did not open this year due to the pandemic.
Americans were not welcome in the Bahamas for months (even assuming one could find a flight and then conjure up the cojones to fly).
Then there's the general reluctance to avoid travel and association with those outside of one's "circle".

Definitely affected...

Anyway...I shot this video before the NH F&W tanker showed up. There were trout already working a small tan caddis-like hatch right at the end of the ramp, picking the bugs off before they could get airborne...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Seriously. Ironically I fished my brains out while I was a captive hire for years and years. I could bail out at noon and either wade a stream or drag the boat out to the salt. Now I'm off the hook, but screwed?

It makes....no....sense :D

Anyway...I have friends in NC that are killing false albacore on fly rods right now. I would love to join them, but it'd mean driving because there's no way I'm getting on a plane anytime soon, and that's a healthy ~16 hour trip by road, and we're supposed to get snow up here ffs.

Sigh...

Cheers! (2021. One way or the other, it's gonna happen...)

I try to get in a Thompson Manitoba fly-in every year and at least trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe area. Unfortunately Canada closed the boarder. However, did get my share of fishing in made it to the BWCA this fall.

Own a cabin in "lake country" in NW WI. With many other lakes easily accessed was able to get on-the-water a good bit.

Captured a video of an eagle out fishing me a month or so back.
- That was the second pass - He missed the first one (Scared me half to death as he came from behind me the first time.), but allowed me to get my phone out for his next attempt. (He then sat in a huge pine along the water and had dinner.)

Last edited:
Back