First yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattcuso

Reaction score
So I did my first yeast starter yesterday and I just wanna know if this looks right

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

1391879530371.jpg

Did you just add the yeast vial to the flask?

It will depend on the beer you are brewing, but normally you have between 1500 - 2000ml of water and the appropriate amount of DME for a 5 gallon batch. (Rule of thumb 100 grams of DME per 1 liter of water.)

as per you tube lol I just put 2 cups water and half cup of dme. did I mess it up.

that pictures is about 12 hours after I mixed the yeast and the wort

I don't believe you messed it up, it just depends on the batch size of beer you are brewing and yeast being used, you may need a larger starter. For 1 gallon, this would work fine. I normally use MrMalty to determine the appropriate starter size to use per yeast strain, and batch size.

Here is a link: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I'm doing a 5 gal batch of on apa and there is 1 Vail of white labs 001 in the starter. I was going to brew layer today but I can wait.

If you figure an OG of 1.050 for a 5 gallon APA, then you should ideally make a 1.5 liter starter with around 150 grams of DME. This should get you around 175 Billion yeast cells needed to adequately kick off the fermentation process. You can pitch what you have made and still be okay.

If you want to hold off a day, then you can just add some more boiled DME (cooled of course) to what you have already made, to get closer to 1.5 liters in total, and brew tomorrow. You still achieve your goal of making beer either way, and people brew all the time without starters. IMO, it is good to use one, and required with higher gravity beer.

Is gonna kill me to wait but I probably should. I built the damn stir plate I might as well use. Thanks for the help guys

2 cups of water to 1/2 cup DME is the right formula. If you are making a 1.050'ish ale this will work fine, let it run 36-48 hours and pitch away.

2 cups of water to 1/2 cup DME is the right formula. If you are making a 1.050'ish ale this will work fine, let it run 36-48 hours and pitch away.

I've only recently started making yeast starts so my advice may not be the best. Any yeast starter is better than none. You're giving your yeast a head start. You will probably see more activity a lot faster using a starter than without. Just insurance on a healthy fermentation if nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back