First yeast Starter. Have a question on how many viles to pitch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukadog

Reaction score
Hi all, this will be my first starter. I have done some research and played around with mrMalty, but can't find what I'm looking for.
I just bought a 1000ml starter kit. the stout I'm about to brew has an est OG of 1.086. Question is, can I pitch 2 vials of WLP0007 in a little 1L starter?
Thanks for the help guys, just don't want to mess this beer up. Been planning on it for a while.

sure you can, but you shouldn't need to. it DOES depend on the OG of the beer, but if mrmalty calls for a 1L starter, you should be fine making the starter with 1 vial

Mrmalty calls for a 1.24L with 2 vials with intermittent shaking. So I would just use the required amount of DME then pitch two vials and I'm ready to rock?

Yeah, that should be it! It doesn't take long for a stir plate to pay itself off if you brew often and then you wouldn't need the second vial...just saying haha

I know you just bought a 1000ml starter kit and so you probably don't want to hear this but a 1000ml flask is too small for most starters, 1000ml = 700ml starter max or you will be cleaning yeast off the counter. I have two and I use them a lot but only as a stepping tool when culturing yeast from slants and cause it fits (just) in my pressure cooker so I can autoclave it. So that was the bad news but since you don't have a stir plate (assuming so as you were talking about shaking your starter) you are not limited to a flask. Just cook your wort in a sauce pan and find a container (glass is better but plastic is OK) that is around 2L and sanitize it and pour the wort in that once it is cool enough not to melt/crack it and pitch your yeast once at room temp (70ish deg F) and cover with foil that has been sanitized (give you better gas exchange without letting the nasties in there).

When making your wort make it with 100grams of DME to 1000ml of wort boil for 15min, put a lid on it (foil will do if you don't have one) and sit it in the sink with ice and water in there to cool it.

Clem

I know you just bought a 1000ml starter kit and so you probably don't want to hear this but a 1000ml flask is too small for most starters, 1000ml = 700ml starter max or you will be cleaning yeast off the counter. I have two and I use them a lot but only as a stepping tool when culturing yeast from slants and cause it fits (just) in my pressure cooker so I can autoclave it. So that was the bad news but since you don't have a stir plate (assuming so as you were talking about shaking your starter) you are not limited to a flask. Just cook your wort in a sauce pan and find a container (glass is better but plastic is OK) that is around 2L and sanitize it and pour the wort in that once it is cool enough not to melt/crack it and pitch your yeast once at room temp (70ish deg F) and cover with foil that has been sanitized (give you better gas exchange without letting the nasties in there).

When making your wort make it with 100grams of DME to 1000ml of wort boil for 15min, put a lid on it (foil will do if you don't have one) and sit it in the sink with ice and water in there to cool it.

Clem

Yeah I realized this once I got home that it was a 1000L. Should have been more observant, but it is the only one my LHBS sells and I I had the thought that a 1000L starter is better than no no starter at all.

you do not need to use two (expensive) vials if you are willing make an additional step in your yeast starter. Make a 700ml starter for 70 grams of dme... let it ferment for 24 hours... chill for 24 hours in the fridge. Decant the initial starter "beer" and repeat. This will get you enough viable cells without having to use 2 vials. I would NEVER spend that money on yeast. You can manipulate mr.malty to you less packs of yeast and a bigger starter. The method mentioned above will do just that.

If you make starters, you should never need more than 1 vial.

I am questioning Mr. Malty the more I use it, but lets assume it is right and says 2 vials in a 1.24 L starter. I would pretty much bet that 1 vial in a 1 liter ..... decanted and repeated would produce about the same amount of yeast.

A 1 liter flask is pretty small. I use a gallon jug/carboy for my starters. 6 pints (3 liters) is generally no problem.

you do not need to use two (expensive) vials if you are willing make an additional step in your yeast starter. Make a 700ml starter for 70 grams of dme... let it ferment for 24 hours... chill for 24 hours in the fridge. Decant the initial starter "beer" and repeat. This will get you enough viable cells without having to use 2 vials. I would NEVER spend that money on yeast. You can manipulate mr.malty to you less packs of yeast and a bigger starter. The method mentioned above will do just that.

Well I guess I really messed up then! I'm still trying to understand all the basics on yeast growth and development. I've been doing alot of research, but I always learn the hard way.

So I made this starter. Didn't want it blow off, so I made 800ml added 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient to the boil, then pitched my two vials of WLP0007. I really hope this will work. I have been planning on this beer for awhile, and have been waiting on ingredients to come on the mail.

I would love to learn to save more money on my beloved hobby, for my wife is really on my behind! So thanks for the advice. Any link or information that is a good step by step process of your mentioned technique? Thanks again, and hopefully this starter wont be a fail, and make me go buy MORE yeast!

I wouldn't say you messed up at all.. you might have spent a few more bucks but you live and learn. If you are worried about boil overs or krausen overflowing get some fermcap that will alleviate that problem. I do not know of any step by step instructions but it is as simple as making the starter, chilling, decanting, and make the exact same starter over again. If you really want to you could decant the 2nd starter and pitch about 200ml of water and 20g of dme about 3 hours before you pitch the starter into your wort. This will allow you to pitch at high krausen and give your yeast that much more of a head start (and increase your cell count even more). Happy new year :)

Back