First year hops update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusWatab

Reaction score
These are my first year hops. I planted two cascades and two hallertau hop rhizomes in late may. I live in central MN and am quite happy with the yield given the fact that I wasn't expecting much from what i've read on here regarding first year hops! I am brewing a blue moon type clone tomorrow and thought about substituting the hallertau pellets with some wet, freshly harvested hallertau's. Thoughts??

I realize I would need to use about 5 times as much as I would with dried but since I am doing a "double batch" in seperate kettles, it might be fun to experiment with 5 gallons using dried hallertau and 5 gallons with 5 ounces of wet hallertau's.

Wheels are turning...any suggestions asap would be greatly appreciated!

HOPPPPPS2.jpg

The oft quoted ratio is meaningless in my opinion. It really depends on the point at which you picked your hops, which is impossible to determine compared to someone else. It is purely trial and error.

The oft quoted ratio is meaningless in my opinion. It really depends on the point at which you picked your hops, which is impossible to determine compared to someone else. It is purely trial and error.

If you mean trying to match Alpha units, I totally agree, but in this case I believe simply getting in the ball park using the wet vs dry moisture content was the intent...

Cheers!

Back