First timer going in for the plunge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumume

Reaction score
So far I've had a great warm reception here on HBT. I've acquired a More Beer starter kit with an 8 gallon kettle, immersion chiller, and PET carboy.

I'm brewing the MB Blonde Ale kit: 7lbs of ultralight Malt Extract, 8 oz of Crystal 15L Steeping grain, and 1 oz of Willamette.

My prep has included:
* Testing my new outdoor burner
* Sanitizing carboy, airlock, bung, and transfer tube
* Buying 6 gallons of bottled water
* Buying a large bin to submerge my carboy in to control temps
* Wash chiller and kettle to free random debris

Tomorrow I'm hitting it bright and early. I'm nervous, excited, and fully aware that no matter how much I prep and read/ and re-read I'll for sure forget something and run into some learning situations!

I'm still a bit intimidated by the math involved in All-Grain brews. I know I'm not quite there, but I so wish that I understood it already. Can anyone offer some solace in the newbie whirlwind of information?

1 year ago this month, i was in your shoes. today, I am a confident all grain brewer with 2 tap kegerator in my house. I learned virtually everything I know from the people on this forum, they are awesome. so yeah, in a year, i went from where you are, through 5 extract batches, a messed up first batch ag, to getting better and better. I assure you, you will be fine. search for answers first but if you can't find an answer, post questions and usually someone will get to you.

I'm a newbie myself having only bottled my first batch. But... Brewday for both of my brews was fun and informative. Both of my brewdays have been different and caused some challenges but as I keep hearing if you keep your stuff sanitized you have to try to screw up to destroy your beer.

Insight from my brewdays and fermentations. Blow off tube. Grab a spare hose, attach it to fermenter, shove other end in a container filled with sanitized water. Both of my brews had blow outs with the airlock on. Probably a screwup on my part. Also, Chilling the wort, at least for me, has been a challenge. First time it took an hour to get to 80F and the second time I thankfully, covered my wort when i walked away after an hour of chilling when i had to take my dog to the vet for eating a bbq rib bone. 4 hours later I get home and its pretty close to ambient temp, but chilling 5 gallons of boiling wort is tough.

Finally, try to enjoy it. We're all learning how to make a great beer. Some are further along that path than others though :)

Just remember you can't learn everything in a day.
Learning from experience is the best.
Take it one brew at a time. Learn as you go.
In a short time you will be surprised how easy things become.
I read a lot about brewing and learned a lot from these forums.
Best advice I can give-Have fun and enjoy it!!

My advice is to have a written brew plan that you follow step by step.
Take your time, learn the process and most of all ENJOY!

The only "prep" step that I am wondering about is the sanitizing of the equipment.
It is good that you practiced, but you will want to sanitize that equipment immediately before use.
What kind of sanitizer? If the answer is Starsan, then you have to understand that it is a no rinse "wet" sanitizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree with what's been said so far. And Starsan is the best sanitizer in my opinion, since it's a wet, no-rinse version. Sanitize everything that touches the wort post-boil right before use. Besides making sure those things are clean first. Follow the recipe for the brewing part. I like to use a large, dual layer fine mesh strainer to strain the chilled wort into the fermenter. This gets out hop debris,etc & aerates the wort at the same time. This gives a lot less compacted trub come bottling day. More clear beer for you! O like to use spring water from here in Ohio to brew with, starters & rehydrating yeast as well.
But forget the time tables given in the average instructions. Yeasts have their own timetables. When the rapid bubbling slows or stops, only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to FG from there. It'll then take 3-7 days more to clean up by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then package it.

(7 months new to brewing myself) My biggest suggestion to anyone about to brew their first batch. Be as religious as possible with sanitation. You'll eventually learn the boundaries of what you can get away with and what you can't but def start out strong with your cleaning routine.

The second batch I made my fiance took the stirring paddle and hit me in the back with it out of playful nature and I was like "dammit, now I have to sanitize that all over again!" I probably didn't, but if you start with that mindset you'll be far more likely to avoid an infection.

My advice is to have a written brew plan that you follow step by step.
Take your time, learn the process and most of all ENJOY!

The only "prep" step that I am wondering about is the sanitizing of the equipment.
It is good that you practiced, but you will want to sanitize that equipment immediately before use.
What kind of sanitizer? If the answer is Starsan, then you have to understand that it is a no rinse "wet" sanitizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree with what's been said so far. And Starsan is the best sanitizer in my opinion, since it's a wet, no-rinse version. Sanitize everything that touches the wort post-boil right before use. Besides making sure those things are clean first. Follow the recipe for the brewing part. I like to use a large, dual layer fine mesh strainer to strain the chilled wort into the fermenter. This gets out hop debris,etc & aerates the wort at the same time. This gives a lot less compacted trub come bottling day. More clear beer for you! O like to use spring water from here in Ohio to brew with, starters & rehydrating yeast as well.
But forget the time tables given in the average instructions. Yeasts have their own timetables. When the rapid bubbling slows or stops, only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to FG from there. It'll then take 3-7 days more to clean up by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then package it.

I was originally going to brew last night, hence the pre-emptive sanitation. I am using Starsan, and I will definitely re-apply the solution, well, right now! haha I'm going to start once I get the coffee going. Thanks everyone for the encouraging words!

I finished my first brew! I started with 6 gallons, but now realize that it wasn't enough. I ran into a bit of a burner issue and it wasn't burning hot enough initially, but once I restarted the flame it seemed to be back to normal.

The final amount is about 4.25 gallons with an OG of 1.050. So far I'm approaching 3 hours lag time with little activity. I'm going to dinner and I hope there will be something going on when I return. I have my fermenter in bin with water. I've been adding frozen water bottles with readings around 68 degrees.

I hope I don't have to pitch more yeast. I'm sure it is rookie paranoia since there is some foam forming on the surface.

A starter may be the next step for my process!

"My advice is to have a written brew plan that you follow step by step."

This ^

I hadn't brewed in about 3-4 months and ended up messing a few things up. And this go around I added a few things I wasn't familiar with yet along with new equipment and a new house and stove to use.

For my next brew day I made a list, including turn the A/C down a few notches as it struggles anyway in the heat of the day, and cooking compounds the problem.

Is your 68* reading the beer or the water? It should be the beer's, though a few degrees lower would be a little better.

It sounds like it's taking off just fine.

I was getting that reading on the water. I've since added some more ice and a towel around the carboy to wick some of the heat away. The airlock is more active now and I'm fairly certain that things are going along. I can't wait to do my next batch! I've got a few logistical items to research and I'm going to streamline the process a bit.

On a side note, I really need to think of a way to use the water more effectively that comes out of my wort chiller. I felt so bad watering the lawn at noon. Being a Californian, I the guilt was almost unbearable! (kinda) ;)

Just for talk what did you brew and what yeast? Fermentation can take a while so don't sweat it if it doesn't take off till tomorrow afternoon. Congrats and good Luck!:)

I brewed the blonde ale kit with willamook 5% and safale us 05. It's a few points higher than the expected OG, but I chalk that up to boiling so much water off.

Back