Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tianamarie

Reaction score
Hi brewmasters! This is my first post and I am also very new to the craft of brewing. I have done two brewing kits (chinook IPA / Hazy) but now wanted to go wild and try to make my own recipe for a Belgian Wheat Ale. Trying to make 5gal recipe - was going to us 6lbs of Pilsner DME (using Palmer Method) as the base. I heard Pilsner was good for a wheat ale. What do you think?

The specialty grains I was going to use were -
1lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Munich
.5lb CaraVienne Malt

How do I assess what are the best specialty grains / ratio for the beer I’m making? Any tricks and secrets would be amazing!

What I would do is use wheat DME, which is generally a mix of wheat and barley malt extracts. That way you'd be making a wheat beer instead of a pilsner malt base with a pound of wheat.

Munich malt is nice- and it's very strongly malty, so make sure that is what you want in that mash. You could sub wheat malt for it, and have a better "wheat beer".

What I would do is use wheat DME, which is generally a mix of wheat and barley malt extracts. That way you'd be making a wheat beer instead of a pilsner malt base with a pound of wheat.

Munich malt is nice- and it's very strongly malty, so make sure that is what you want in that mash. You could sub wheat malt for it, and have a better "wheat beer".
To piggy back off this Briess Bavarian Wheat dme is made of 66% Pilsner malt and 33% wheat malt so it may be perfect for you

I personally would use Vienna Malt and then Caramunich instead of the other way around. Vienna is much lighter in flavor than Munich so this way you’ll get some Vienna flavor and then use only .25lbs of caraMunich so that Munich flavor comes in as well. Just an idea.

This is super helpful! Is about 6lbs of Briess Bulvarian Wheat DME good for a 5gal boil? Adding flaked wheat with caraMunich & Vienna will be good too?

Back