First Time meader

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGreen588

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I am interested in brewing some mead. Here is my basic recipe let me know what you think. I want it simple but good.

5 Gallon Batch

12 lbs Clover Honey
zest of 4 oranges
champagne yeast

I am also thinking of throwing in a gallon of some type of fancy juice like peach/apple or grape/pomegranate...idk something crazy like that.

Thanks in advance for any input

Tom

Do you want it to be pretty dry? It will be with that yeast. My first mead was similar: 12lbs clover honey, 4 gallons apple cider, and champagne yeast. It got down fairly low 1.008 and was amazing.

Just be sure you don't get a lot of the white part of the orange peel. That stuff it too bitter IMO.

Like jaxn said - 12# of honey with no other fermentables and a champagne yeast will turn out with a dry mead of around 13-14% based on how dry it ends up.

Use Hightest's calculator spreadsheet (linked in the FAQ sticky here in the mead area) if you want to tweak that a bit.

You may find that you might want a little more honey to up the alcohol a bit, or you might want to find a lower tolerance yeast if you want to keep it sweet without much backsweetening.

Expect champagne yeast to take this under 1.000 (probably 0.996 or so) and you can look to backsweeten to taste if this is a little too dry for you (it certainly is for me).

If you don't give it some nutrients you can expect a long, slow fermentation that may not finish dry (unless you plan on pitching a lot of yeast). 2 grams of DAP and 4 grams of energizer per gallon will give you a fermentation with more pep that will finish sooner (and probably drier).

Orange peels contain limonene which is a potent yeast inhibitor. The zest of 4 oranges isn't going to stop your fermentation, but all things being equal, I usually add orange zest after fermentation is complete.

Good luck!

Medsen

Back