First Time Lagerer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d4rren

Reaction score
So I have made a number of Ales, but this is my first attempt at a Lager. I am using Wyeast 2308 and lagering in my kegerator; currently at 50 degrees. My question, that I fear the answer to, is: Is it definitely a bad sign if I am noticing a strong egg smell? Not rotten eggs, just eggs. Maybe egg salad is a better description. It has only been fermenting for about three days and the yeast is active (so says my airlock), but the smell is worrying me!

Thanks.

So I have made a number of Ales, but this is my first attempt at a Lager. I am using Wyeast 2308 and lagering in my kegerator; currently at 50 degrees. My question, that I fear the answer to, is: Is it definitely a bad sign if I am noticing a strong egg smell? Not rotten eggs, just eggs. Maybe egg salad is a better description. It has only been fermenting for about three days and the yeast is active (so says my airlock), but the smell is worrying me!

Thanks.

First: Welcome to the world of homebrewed lagers. :tank:

Second: You're not lagering, you're fermenting. The lagering phase following fermentation should be done at as close to 32F as you can manage and at least 40F or below.

Third: You're smelling sulphur dioxide, SO2, a common by-product of lager yeast and also some ale yeasts. It's normal and will dissipate during lagering and aging.

:mug:

From my reading, I knew it could happen, but when I had my first lager fermenting, my wife thought something had died in the basement. It doesn't last long.

Second: You're not lagering, you're fermenting. The lagering phase following fermentation should be done at as close to 32F as you can manage and at least 40F or below.

Question. I live in a crappy apartment with window ACs and no kegerator and was planning an all grain dopplebock... The lagering process you mention, can I place the bottles in the fridge to condition (and I guess lager?) sorry I'm ignorant of the lagering process, just wanna make sure it's something I can do.

I guess my question is... Is lagering bottle conditioning in a fridge?

Lagering should be done with the yeast in contact with the beer. That being said how much contact is really need is a good question. I like to rack mine off and lager under light pressure. I normally rack twice during the lagering to end up with a very clean tank for serving. To much pressure, above 2 volumes of CO2 and you will see diminished yeast activity.

So to answer your question, it might be wise to lager for a short while before bottling. Perhaps 4 to 6 weeks in a bright tank and then bottle or keg.

There are radical differences in the beer during this time. As you are getting into lager brewing it might be a good idea to pull some of the beer and bottle it young to understand the changes that happen. You can drink it and make notes, then 4 to 6 weeks down the line you can sample the lagered beer and see the difference.

I understand beechwood chips in the lagering tank can take the process down to around 7 days due to the increase surface area. Although I have never tried this and beers made from this method pale in comparison to full aged lagers.

i wouldn't cut any corners in lagering... i know cuz i've cut almost all of them once by now. in my first 2 years of experiments i was dumping roughly half my lagers, now I just do them the textbook way and they come out great.

Back