First Time Brewing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MROB16

Reaction score
My brew day was this past Sunday and everything went off great. Monday fermentation was at full blast. I had a lot of brown foam towards to top of the jug (1 gallon). Now fermentation has settled and I put on the air lock. But all that foam residue is stuck to the top of the jug. Is that going to be an issue? Thanks!

image-1837031044.jpg

You fermented with the lid off, then put the airlock after it settled down? Your beer is fine as far as the brown stuff, it's krausen, sign of fermentation. Just let it go for a while, check gravity, and be patient. That stuff could be stuck to the glass for the entire process.

Nope, it will dry on there and will have to be scrubbed or shaken off with water when you are done fermenting and cleaning it. Happens in most fermentors. It just looks like kreusen crust.

beerloaf

Absolutely not. That is completely normal. FYI: that brown foam you speak of is called krausen.

Beyond that, welcome to the addiction! I hope it turns out tasty! Looks good so far!

Thanks for the input. It's the Brooklyn Brew Kit. Jalapeño saison. I'm already thinking of how to tinker and what to make next. I can see this being very addicting. And I see a 3 gallon Carboy in my future. CHEERS!

Nothing to worry about! All looks normal! That foam is called krausen.

Welcome to the addiction! Hope your brew turns out tasty!

Sorry for the double post. I did it from my phone and the first one said it didn't go through. My bad!

Back