First time Brewer now has the ADDICTION

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quietandsimple

Reaction score
I started a simple gruit stout recipe that I've been chewing on for a while. When I say simple, I mean K.I.S.S. simple.

12 lbs. Northern Brewer Dark Malt
3.3 lbs. Muntons Dark Malt
1 lb. Briess Amber Malt
1 lb. Malto-dextrin
Pitched with 4 packets Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast
Total yield 10 gallons
( I realized when I first wrote the post I hadn't posted my total yield)
Didn't do anything fancy when boiling, no specialty grains. I will be adding both Hazelnut extract, and Raspberry extract to taste before bottling. I am brewing for a household that has a hop intolerant person, so I'm thinking of adding cold brewed chicory to balance out the extreme malt sweetness I suspect will come of this brew. Any suggestions would be helpful.

BUT I know that I have the ADDICTION because I caught myself just staring at the fermentation tank (which is of course home built from a food grade plastic container with a home made airlock). I was mesmerized and I believe about twenty minutes passed while I was just watching my VERY active fermentation just bubble along. I didn't even have a beer in my hand while I was watching the little yeasty bastards.

Anyone else caught themselves doing this?

I just started earlier this month, and I check mine multiple times a day... I'm not really sure why, but I enjoy seeing the process and making sure everything is OK. I have a feeling a few months from now it'll die down once the excitement of fermentation goes away (plus I'll actually have some home brew to drink, so it'll get my mind off it!)

I know exactly how you two feel. I've always been the one too cook in our household, but the amount of time I'm spending in the kitchen now is ridiculous. One of my buddies joked that I should stop leaning on the counter before I wore it out and just moved a bl**dy chair in there. :D

Back