First Sparkling Hard Cider attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjpummell

Reaction score
My OG was 1.137. It's been in the primary for about a month, and is still quite actively fermenting. Any thoughts at what point to transfer to secondary? [I'm considering racking onto some fresh (heated to kill the funk) raspberries]. Does anyone know what the final gravity range for a hard cider should be? Thanks.

For such a high OG it could easily pass 0.990 and be some seriously boozy stuff for a long while

Secondary transfer is up to you but there are two main schools of thought. Some folks rack anytime the lees get to be 1/2 inch or more while others wait for fermentation to slow down noticeably. Both work great.

I'm relatively new to brewing, and I appreciate your advice. I should consider spinning the hydrometer to see how close I am to 1.0 as I rack to the secondary then? Also, any thoughts on the effect of raspberries to the overall taste if I rack secondary sooner than later?

Taking a hydrometer reading will definitely give you a clearer picture of what's going on in the batch. Probably a good idea to gain experience and understanding since you're new to this. Then in the future you'll have a better sense of where a batch is without having to resort to the hydrometer.

I find that adding fruit while fermentation is still going on will change the body but add only minor flavor to the batch. I prefer to add fruit as a back-sweetener so that the flavor is retained in the unfermented sugars.

I'm no expert but I've never had an active fermentation that hasn't got close to 1.000 in two weeks.

Mine rarely last less than 3 weeks, and I think Yooper once said most of her's last around 5 days. With so many variables it's hard to compare fermentation times in any meaningful way when it comes to cider.

The OP also has a very high OG, which will take more time to go dry.

@ 1.137 this is really a wine not a cider. Technical details I know, but it will likely need a very long aging time to reach it's potential.

Maybe I wasn't using the proper terminology, and I apologize for misleading anyone. My recipe was as follows: 5 gallons of unpasteurized cider, 2lbs brown sugar, 8 lbs beet sugar, champagne yeast, fermenting with 2 all-natural, no perservative cinnamon sticks."

I guess it's a combination of "apple jack" and "hard cider" + sparkling (in the end, as I plan on bottling with priming sugar).

Hope this clears things up a bit. :/

Maybe I wasn't using the proper terminology, and I apologize for misleading anyone. My recipe was as follows: 5 gallons of unpasteurized cider, 2lbs brown sugar, 8 lbs beet sugar, champagne yeast, fermenting with 2 all-natural, no perservative cinnamon sticks."

I guess it's a combination of "apple jack" and "hard cider" + sparkling (in the end, as I plan on bottling with priming sugar).

Hope this clears things up a bit. :/

I think with an OG of 1.137, you're not going to get anything sparkling.

What happens is, the yeast will ferment all they can and then poop out. Generally, with champange yeast that happens at 15-18%, if the fermentation is going well and the yeast aren't stressed.

You wine will be at the level when it gets to 1.030-1.010. That means it will finish sweet, like a dessert wine. But it also means that the yeast will be done, and so will not ferment more to bottle carbonate. The priming sugar will NOT be fermented once the yeast reach their alcohol tolerance.

To make a sparkling wine/cider the OG must be much lower. At 1.137, you'll be lucky to have this finish below 1.030.

You're going to have a very hot, very sweet rocket fuel for quite a while, although sweetness does often cover a hot alcohol taste. If it gets to 18% (unlikely), you'd end up with a FG of 1.004 so it wouldn't be too sweet bit it would be HOT. It's more likely going to peter out at 1.030, or so, giving you a 14+% sweet wine. But it's hard to say exactly, because sometimes the yeast get enough nutrients from the apple juice and ferment better (more) than I guess.

I just racked this "hot mess" into the secondary. Gravity is now at 1.02. My calculations put me about 15.3%. Is there any chance to still carbonate at some point, without re-introducing yeast? Or is my best bet to age it, post-sweeten it, and call it wine?

What about forced carbonation? (Not what I was hoping for, but maybe that's an option)?

So bummed...

I just racked this "hot mess" into the secondary. Gravity is now at 1.02. My calculations put me about 15.3%. Is there any chance to still carbonate at some point, without re-introducing yeast? Or is my best bet to age it, post-sweeten it, and call it wine?

What about forced carbonation? (Not what I was hoping for, but maybe that's an option)?

So bummed...

You can definitely force carb it. If you can keg it, it can be chilled and carbonated. It will not carb naturally, as the yeast will eat up all the sugar they have and then die of alcohol poisoning as the alcohol level gets higher.

If it tastes ok, you can keg it anytime.

Thanks Yooper (from a fellow Michigander) :mug:. I guess I just found the kick in the butt I've been needing to invest in a keg system.

Any suggestions there? Cornelius? I DO have a spare fridge, but not able to be in the handiest of locations.

Thanks Yooper (from a fellow Michigander) :mug:. I guess I just found the kick in the butt I've been needing to invest in a keg system.

Any suggestions there? Cornelius? I DO have a spare fridge, but not able to be in the handiest of locations.

Whatever fits your budget. Pinlock kegs or ball lock cornelius kegs are handy. Whatever you get, make sure they are all the same (all pin lock or all ball lock) but otherwise it doesn't matter much. You'd need a co2 tank, a regulator, and the dispensing lines and stuff. This stuff is definitely not cheap, so search around for the best deal.

Back