First Rack/ How to dissolve cinnamon sticks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobSeibel

Reaction score
So I racked today, the fast rack conical worked great.

However pre racking I was getting one bubble every 10sec... post rack only one bubble ever 30sec... did i screw up?

What I racked off tastes pretty booze to me but my palate isn't refined enough to be sure.

also IIIIIIII'm dumb... used whole cinnamon sticks which are now stuck in the collection bulb... does anyone have recommendation on how to remove them... does anything dissolve cinnamon sticks?

Thanks!

IMG_2084.jpg

I'm a little confused, you racked from the fastferment to another fermenter? It wasn't at final gravity?
As far as the cinnamon, shake, something long and thin to stick between the rolls?

I guess the term racking isn't the best in this situation, I removed the collection bulb at the bottom (removing sediment) and replaced it with the hose attachment so I can see the mead better.

As far as gravity I'm flying blind here, I racked yesterday (day 14) because I wanted to remove the fruit and other organic material before it rotted and tainted the batch

I plan on leaving the batch in the conical for the next 5months for maturing, while I will be away and not needing the vessel for other batches

You should be fine, didn't notice I was in the mead forum, not sure why you put the hose on if you're not transferring the contents, I have only done 1 gallon meads, all your fruit sank?
Every time I've done it it floats, which you should punch down.
With beer I leave the ball on to collect the yeast and trub, kegged one today and had clean beer the whole way.

I plan on leaving the batch in the conical for the next 5months for maturing, while I will be away and not needing the vessel for other batches

If you're going to be away and it's unsupervised I would definitely leave the ball on, you'll come back to a clean product.

I'm using the hose so I can actually see the clarity and color or the mead during secondary and aging... this is my first batch I'm really excited and want to see every step

Back