First original recipe... What do you think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russrob81

Reaction score
Making my first original recipe brew next weekend. Did some research and came up with this recipe to get the taste I'm looking for. Looking for an ipa that is closer to lagunitas maximus then new Belgium ranger ipa as far as smooth vs harsh if you get my understanding. Feedback would be nice on what kind of flavour to expect.
Boil size 5.85
Batch size 5.0
Boil 60 mins
Grain bill
12.5 lb 2-row brewers malt
2 lb carapils/dextrine
1.50 briess Munich 60l
Hops
1 oz horizon. 60 min
.75 perle 30 min
.50 perle 15 min
.25 perle 10 min
1 oz cascade 5 min
1 oz cascade 0 min
Wyeast 1056
Irish moss 15 min boil
Mash 60 min at 154
Est og 1.074
Final 1.018
Abv 7.4%
Ibu 59.18
Thank you for your helpl

Horizon sounds like a smooth bittering hop, so that's working in your favor there. Perle being noble-ish and added at 30/15 should give you the spicy characteristics of a german hop. The cascade will add a citrusy aroma. Should be an interesting mix. Big aroma, smooth profile, sweet to the taste.

I think this should go in the recipes/ingredients section next time (this section is for people to share their final recipes).

But! perle, cascade is very SNPA-ish, so if you like the flavor of that, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with your hop scheduling. ( I would dry hop though, and add an extra ounce or two at flameout to steep for 30-40 minutes)

Grain bill wise, I see way too much cara-pils. That is about 12.5% of cara-pils. I would limit it closer to 5% for an IPA. If you want the body like Lagunitas, mash really close to 160 (thats what they do).

If you want to look at the actual recipe for Lagunitas Maximus for some inspiration, look here
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-lagunitas-maximus-221391/

That is the recipe, given by Lagunitas themselves, and scaled down and brewed by the Can You Brew It crew.

I don't think the carapils will be a huge negative with the high OG and IBUs, personally. I've used that much C40 in a hop-burst PA with less IBUs (but huge hop presence in flavor/aroma) and it was excellent. Consider dry-hopping, for sure.

Back