First one gallon batch... not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadmom

Reaction score
Made my first ever small batch with 1 gallon Whole Foods spring water and 3 Lbs honey, with
30 Whole Foods organic Thompson seedless grapes and 1/3 packet Red Star Premier Blanc yeast. Pitched on Nov 2. Primary seemed normal from what I've read online. Racked to secondary 1 gallon carboy on 12/3. It's been sitting since and hasn't bubbled in over a month, but hasn't clarified. I still have an airlock on it and it only bubbles if i move it (i did recently). Nothing seems to be growing in it so i don't think it's infected but not sure on that or what to do at this point.. Continue to wait, cold crash, rack again, discard, or something else? FYI...I do not have a hydrometer. Any info is appreciated

Last edited:
Could also be pectin from the grapes, if so then no bentonite or sparkolloid will help, only pectic enzyme will do. Double or triple the recommended dose and after 24-48 hours add sparkolloid hot mix fining and cold crash after 3-4 days. Should help out alot.

Thank you everyone for all of the great ideas. So after really stirring it up, it is now bubbling again for a couple days (albeit really slowly-once every 45 seconds). So now I wonder, should i cold crash anyway or wait more? Id like to try this first before adding bentonite or enzyme.

I've had some stubborn ones and time has cleared for the most part. Pectic enzyme will only remove pectin due to the grapes and not add any off flavors.

I'd have to look back but there's a way to determine if it's pectin or not, I can't remember the ratios but it's water and house alcohol, if its petunia it will clump together.
I'll get back with the ratios

Thank you everyone for all of the great ideas. So after really stirring it up, it is now bubbling again for a couple days (albeit really slowly-once every 45 seconds). So now I wonder, should i cold crash anyway or wait more? Id like to try this first before adding bentonite or enzyme.

I live in the cold Northeast and have had a problem with the Ambient Temperature being to cold (basement) once I moved the carboy to a warmer temperature 70-75 the fermentation resumed.

Latest posts

Back