first lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok i am going to do my first lager. I am going to use wyeast 2308 with a starter. question is my fridge sits around 44-45 F on its warmest setting. is that too cold for fermenting with that yeast? if not should I pitch at that temp or warmer? If it is too cold what temp should i ferment at? from what ive read here around 50. I guess i am just wondering how much heat is produced while fermenting and if its enough to bring the temp up from a 44 F air temp. Thanks.

You should be okay at 45F. It'll ferment a little slower than usual, but I doubt you'll have any issues. Make a damn good starter though just to be safe.

+1.... Just watch it closely, preferably by a remote thermometer with the probe fixed to the side of the fermenter (better yet, in a thermowell). As soon as you see the beer temp falling (kraeusen should be falling about the same time), turn off the fridge and let it free rise to d-rest.

Or just get a temp controller.:)

ok thanks. How long should i let it rise in d-rest and to what temp? Then after d-rest i should go to secondary and lager?

D-rest should be 48-72 hours. I did my first lager a few months ago. I had it at 50, then d-rested at 60 for three days.

I then dropped the temp about 4-5 degrees each day until I reached 38-40F for lagering. I think I lagered it for about 7 weeks, then transferred to keg.

I D-rest at 70F for three days. I'd do 2 days, but it takes about a day for the beer to warm up to 70. Then, as Johnny said, slowly lower the temp until you get to the mid 30's. I prefer 36F for my lagers, but it's just personal preference.

Lager time all depends on the beer. Some beers I only lager for 8 weeks, others I'll lager for 6 months. I start my oktoberfest in March and let it lager until the festival.

the d-rest isn't necessary unless it's necessary, i'd smell and taste the beer to make sure you need one before doing it. On second thought, 2308 has been a pretty touchy strain in my experience, you'll probably need one :D.

7-8 weeks is a pretty long lagering time, though the beer wont it mind at all. If you're anything like me, you only have space to lager 2 beers and want that beer out of there as soon as possible; 4 weeks has produced some GREAT beer for me. Budweiser is only lagered what, like 2 and a half weeks before they bottle it and the only off-flavor is a slight green apple ester.

Back