First Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerhead

Reaction score
I was thinking about taking advantage of the weather right now and start my first lager. I was wondering if there were any big differences that I needed to know about since all I've done before have been a hefe and a magic hat clone. Also, and help with recipies would be appreciated, thanks.

-Matt

Beerhead said:
I was thinking about taking advantage of the weather right now and start my first lager. I was wondering if there were any big differences that I needed to know about since all I've done before have been a hefe and a magic hat clone. Also, and help with recipies would be appreciated, thanks.

-Matt

If you've never done one before, I'd recommend just getting a kit from your local HBS. The main difference is going to be the temperature of the lager. This is going to vary depending on the yeast. IE: California Comon is a lager yeast, which is optimal between 55 and 65 degrees F, this is usually the temp range most basements get to... and you may want to think about that.

Most yeasts will specify the temp ranges they're good for.

good luck, hope this helps.

check this thread out.

do a big starter, chill the wort as low as you can resonably go, hit the yeast's target fermenting temp for primart fermentation until you are within 20% of the final gravity, diacetly rest at "room" temperature, then lager around 36. all while remaining perfectly calm and collected.

Fiery Sword said:
check this thread out.

do a big starter, chill the wort as low as you can resonably go, hit the yeast's target fermenting temp for primart fermentation until you are within 20% of the final gravity, diacetly rest at "room" temperature, then lager around 36. all while remaining perfectly calm and collected.

Ok, so I put the lager in my primary for a week and then do a diacety rest? what is that? Anyways, then do i put it in my secondary and lager at around 36 degrees?? Thanks for the help.

-Matt H.

Make a big big starter and get your wort down to pitching temps (as well as your starter) aerate really well also. Pitch and maintain fermenting temps as recommended for the type of yeast you are using (if you are using dry yeast you can forego the starter and just pitch/sprinkle 2 11g packs of yeast on top of the wort), let ferment out which might take 3 weeks and remove to a warmer location for a diacetly rest for a few days and then rack to secondary. Lager at the closest you can get to freezing for a month or so and then you can package your beer.

these are very basic instructions so if you want to scope out more info do a search. Google is your friend.

Back