First Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglytunasaloona

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first lager last week. It is the Imperial Pilsner from the Extreme Brewing book. The brewing process went without a problem. I pitched two activator packs of the Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast. Both of the activators swelled like I would have expected them to so I know that the yeast was viable. I put the fermenter into my kegerator, adjusted the temp to 52 degrees and it’s been sitting since. I have a thermometer in the freezer and the temp has been between 52 and 57 degrees. I always use a blow off tube for my ales and I haven’t seen any bubble activity for a week. I pulled the tube today and took a SG reading. The beer looked like crap --- cloudy as hell. I expected to be much clearer then it was. My OG was 1.092 and after I let the sample come to temp it read 1.080. I’m apparently seeing some fermentation. I swapped the tube for an airlock and I’m seeing some bubbling now. I’m going to let it ride but is this normal for a lager?

Lagers take a lot longer to ferment out, especially with a gravity of 1.092. Everything sounds normal to me though. I do think you severely underpitched your yeast. I would have pithed AT LEAST 4 packs or a huge starter with a beer that big. That could be another reason it's working so slowly.

Lagers take a lot longer to ferment out, especially with a gravity of 1.092. Everything sounds normal to me though. I do think you severely underpitched your yeast. I would have pithed AT LEAST 4 packs or a huge starter with a beer that big. That could be another reason it's working so slowly.

Yeah, that's a huge OG to use only two packages of yeast. I'd have to check with mrmalty.com's calculator, but I'm guessing that even with 2 packages, a 4 liter starter might have been in order.

Since it's going now, keep it at the optimum fermentation temperature and wait it out.

I was planning on a 3-4 week primary followed by a d-rest and then another 3-4 week lagering period. I'll keep checking the SG. I brewed a RIS in november that came in higher then the PIlS and it fermented like crazy so I was taken by surprise at the slow fermentation.

Funny, I was actually looking at that exact same recipe for my first lager brew coming up. I've been bottling lately and my kegerator needs some love. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll make sure I make a big starter.

I was planning on a 3-4 week primary followed by a d-rest and then another 3-4 week lagering period. I'll keep checking the SG. I brewed a RIS in november that came in higher then the PIlS and it fermented like crazy so I was taken by surprise at the slow fermentation.

Lagers are completely different from Ales in the way their yeasts work. A high gravity ale can ferment off one pack (you should still make a starter) of yeast, but a lager ALWAYS needs a starter. Regardless of the gravity, you should be making a starter for lagers.

I am back with questions about this beer again. I let it sit and ferment an additional 3 weeks for a total of four. I’ve taken 3 SG readings since Friday and each one of those was 1.050. I’m thinking that it’s stuck. I’m planning on pitching another activator. Any other ideas?

FWIW, It has started to clear and no longer looks like a complete cold-break. It is not longer extremely sweet although the taste of malt is quite heavy but there is some hop bitterness coming through.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'd try everything you can before re-pitching. Warm it up if you think it's too cool. Try swirling the carboy or bucket to get some yeast back in suspension. If all else fails, make a starter for another yeast packet and throw it in.

1.050? And it's not sweet? First, check the hydrometer just to make sure the paper hasn't slipped down. Especially since the beer is clearing, it makes me think it's further along than 1.050.

If it is indeed stuck, one activator won't do much. You're already at 5.2% ABV, so just dropping in some more yeast might not help at all.

You could either make a big starter, and then rack the beer onto it, or brew a smaller beer and use that yeast cake to finish up this lager.

The commercial pitching rate for that beer, assuming pretty fresh yeast (2-3 weeks from date of manufacture) would be about 8 packages.

Most experienced lager homebrewers wouldn't even try to ferment a 1.092 lager with a starter, let along without one. The only practical way to pitch an ideal amount of yeast for a beer like that is to repitch from a previous fermentation.

The mrmalty.com pitching calculator suggests a simple (no stir plate) starter of 15 liters with 2 packs of yeast. So basically a full batch of low gravity lager is your starter for a very high gravity lager.

IMO, if you're going to repitch then just use dry yeast (the W34/70 strain is the same lager strain in dry form). Liquid yeast needs oxygen and you don't want to aerate your beer now (that would be bad). Dry yeast already has those nutrient reserves 'built-in' so to speak.

Thanks for the replies. I'm planning to stop by the LHBS this afternoon. Iam going to try the starter route. I also did stir up the cake a bit and I'm seeing a little activity in the airlock so somethings happening.

Back